S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

K&N AirCharger...10hp increase

Old 06-08-2002, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Utah S2K
[B]In God We Trust......all others bring data! A moto I live my life by! (#2 Trust but verify).

No dyno plots boys?
Old 06-08-2002, 05:15 AM

Hey Russ, can you describe the plumbing at the upper left of your photo...it looks like you extended the length of the intake. But the tubing looks to be of small diameter, and I wonder about the new entrance detail. The length and diameter affect the intake tuning too.

It's easy to measure CAIs on the road using speed-to-speed tests and an in-car accelerometer..good ones repeat at least as well as a dynojet.

Stan
Old 06-08-2002, 08:27 AM

First off they have done dyno runs on the preproduction model dyno runs, in correct multi pull fasion. I believe that K&N does not release dyno plots for there preproduction stuff and rarely post dyno plots of specific vechile. The socal guys are having a dyno day soon, I believe a few people who have the preproduction stuff are already signed up and we should have some true numbers hopefully.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by E30M3
[B]Hey Russ, can you describe the plumbing at the upper left of your photo...it looks like you extended the length of the intake.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:23 PM

>>When I modified things and tested with my accelerometer , the piping resulted in an improvement in my 1/4-mile times equal to 5hp, or to be more precise, about .122 seconds. <<

Can you further describe your tests and test equipment?

Stan
Old 06-10-2002, 04:06 AM

10 HP by installing a CAI? Your living in a world of candycanes and lolipops! Totally delusional!! I just installed the Comptech CAI and they clain a 6 HP increase. I don't believe it for one second although I do like the added throttle response and the throatier sound at 4500-7000 RPM.
Old 06-10-2002, 04:46 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ex Con
[B]10 HP by installing a CAI? Your living in a world of candycanes and lolipops! Totally delusional!!
Old 06-10-2002, 05:19 AM

We all like to dream don't we? Hey I'd love to think installing a CAI will give me 10 HP. Personally I don't buy it, not on this engine! Honda has this motor fairly maxed out as it is, not to say there is no room for improvement but this ain't no WRX motor where with simple bolt ons I got over 320 at the crank from a 227 HP motor.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:56 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Ex Con
We all like to dream don't we? Hey I'd love to think installing a CAI will give me 10 HP. Personally I don't buy it, not on this engine! Honda has this motor fairly maxed out as it is, not to say there is no room for improvement but this ain't no WRX motor where with simple bolt ons I got over 320 at the crank from a 227 HP motor.
Fair enough that is your own personal opinion but that's very limited thinking on your part. So buy your thinking then why did you even bother buying a Comptech CAI? You liked the look? Had $350 to burn? Why did all those independent dynos show the gain? Are you telling me that everyone faked the dynos? A WRX is very different from a S2000. It is harder to gain on a NA 4 cylinder than a Turbocharged 4. But to think that it is impossible and that the motor is maxed out is ridiculous. HamS2000 was able to get 30rwhp with hours of tuning using an AEM EMS system. Should that just be discounted even though he has dyno numbers to support it? What about the toda cams? Take it as it's worth but if the proof is out there you can't just discount it. That would be like saying dinosaurs never existed because you never saw one in person. Even though we have fossils to prove otherwise. As we are always taught in business school, sometimes you need to see the entire picture before you pass judgement.
Old 06-10-2002, 06:14 AM

Room for improvement? YES 10 HP by bolting on a CAI? Still don't buy it! There is a good article on www.autospeed.com in Tech Articles with regards to the S2000. A very reputable performance shop was able to obtain a 27 percent increase in HP. What portion of this increase is attributed to a CAI? Almost none since it appears (and I agree) that Honda did a pretty good job of allowing this motor to breathe. I am not saying there is no room for improvement, but 10 HP? Personally I believe that in order to obtain any significant power increase on this motor several issues need to be addressed including exhaust, CAI, and most importantly a processor. This is the one area where by adjusting parameters I think you will be able to obtain additional power. Is this reliable power? I haven't got a clue. Just for the record I don't pretend to know this powerplant nor do I consider myself knowledgable with regards to the S2000, however I do have some common sense and fleeting moments of lucidity along with some experience modifying previous automobiles.

Quick Reply: K&N AirCharger...10hp increase