S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

K & N Air Filter question

Old 03-06-2002, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could always have your oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs for $18.95 to be sure, it shows silica (Read 'dirt') content in the oil.

Kind of cheap, and then you aren't making assumptions or opinions about how good the filter works, you just deal with facts.
Old 03-06-2002, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by cdelena

The 2-3% variation we saw on that dyno (like most others) when running same car with no changes shows that the tests with the filter proved nothing. I put no stock in any conclusions drawn from those tests and suggest all be less swayed by those small variations.
The results were varied on the day we tested but one of the filters did in fact test significantly lower (greater than the 2-3% variance) than a dirty stock filter with 24,000 miles. I did mention that the result was puzzling to all that were still present by the time this car tested. I believe you had already left. I'm not drawing any conclusions from this either but it just goes to show even dyno tests with air filters ARE inconclusive.
Honestly I don't care about the filter performance too much anyway. I picked up the K&N because it can be re-used. I seriously doubt any filter has a significant gain if any. I'm just keeping the airflow clean until I get forced induction and the whole airbox will be pitched.
Old 03-06-2002, 06:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by Bobway
You could always have your oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs for $18.95 to be sure, it shows silica (Read 'dirt') content in the oil.

Kind of cheap, and then you aren't making assumptions or opinions about how good the filter works, you just deal with facts.
Actually the Blackstone data shows silicone not silica. In order to evaluate the concentration of road dust (i.e. silica) in the oil you need to request a hard particle count. Silica will show up as particulates in the 2 and 5 micron range.

There also seems to be a prevalent misnomer about these aftermarket filters that their higher flow means less a higher micron by-pass allowable (i.e. particles can get through). This is false. If you take a K&N or JR and put it next to an OEM filter they fit the exact same envelope dimensions. But if you take the time to count the pleats in the filter material you will find the aftermarket filter has more. More pleats=more surface area=more flow.

P.S. I think, once again, CD hit the mark. The dyno error will more then account for your readings. Do what I and my friends did. Get an O.E.M., a K&N, and a JR. Then have a road party and mix and match filters. See what your "butt dynos" tell you and then post again ......I look forward to reading your post . If you need to borrow a JR for your testing let me know.....I've moved up to a CAI. Threw away the O.E.M., gave away the K & N....and kept the JR....even though I could not use it?

Utah
Old 03-06-2002, 06:47 PM

i took my air box out tonight and it sure sounds hella mean! still feels slower though, kinda bogs before VTEC.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:46 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Utah S2K
[B]

Actually the Blackstone data shows silicone not silica. In order to evaluate the concentration of road dust (i.e. silica) in the oil you need to request a hard particle count. Silica will show up as particulates in the 2 and 5 micron range.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:40 PM

I have the Super Competition (MG Racing) polyester filter, and I was concerned about its filtration, so I had Balckstone Labs do a particle count. The results were good (ISO 17/14), although the oil sample was from only 3000 miles and during the winter, when the rain keeps the dust down. I'll have them do another particle count in the summer.

It would be interesting to see the results from a few S2000s with each of the other aftermarket filters.

Ted