S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

K & N Air Filter question

Old 02-21-2002, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K & N Air Filter question

A friend of mine told me recently that I should get a K & N air filter for my car for a couple of reason: 1)Being out in west Texas, it can get rather dusty at times and this filter does an excellent job in that capacity, and 2)Increased Gas Mileage.

Has anyone had any first hand experience with them who can let me know if they are worth the money? 45-50$ as opposed to a fram for much less.

Thanks,
Maestro
Old 02-21-2002, 10:15 AM

We had this thread a while ago about the K & N Filters.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...ighlight=Filter
Old 02-28-2002, 07:13 PM

I have the K&N filter and the car does breaths better especially at highway speeds. I paid $55 for mine through a local performance shop. It definetly flows more air than any paper filter, and as we all know more air = more fuel = more power.

There are complete intake systems avaliable out there, before purchasing a K&N make sure you're planing on keeping the stock air box. If you're planning on scrubbing the stock box then I don't recomend spending the money.

Old 02-28-2002, 07:36 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a JR filter from Richard Ming at Import Developement.............

Utah
Old 03-01-2002, 09:56 PM

I bought a K&N filter while my car was in for repairs. Before I could try it out our car club attended a Dyno Day at a local tuning shop (sadly my car was still in pieces at the time). While at the Dyno event I mentioned my recent K&N purchase and was told that the K&N would "lose power". Naturally I was immediately bummed so I put my filter to the test. Some interesting things happened. While on the dyno we switched from a used stock filter to the K&N. No surprise that the HP increased on the new filter. Next we tried a brand new JR filter that had much easier breathing (or so we thought) because there was much more "daylight" visible inside the filter material. The HP suffered a sharp decrease with the JR. Still puzzled we replaced the K&N and got it back. To make matters more interesting we repeated the pull with the airbox lid off and got a bit more HP although this was done with the hood open on a cold day.
I'm satisfied that the K&N is certainly a better buy than stock if for no other reason that it is cheaper to clean than replace for the long term.
Why we got a poor result on the JR (worse than a dirty stock unit) remains a mystery.
Old 03-03-2002, 02:47 PM

svann,

i thought that if you took the box lid off, you actually loose about 5 hp?? personally i replaced the intake with a K&N also, but i dont notice anything seems a little bit louder. when i take the stock intake lid off, it really sounds loud but seem to be slower.
Old 03-03-2002, 03:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by svann
[B] The HP suffered a sharp decrease with the JR.
Old 03-04-2002, 04:06 AM

Maestro, If you want a K&N, I've got one I'll sell. It has about with 1,500 miles on it. Send me a PM if you are interested.
Old 03-04-2002, 07:53 AM

for those of u with K&N, no one is worried about the particles that do not get filtered due to the higher flow?
Old 03-06-2002, 04:17 AM

From what I've read, it is only a concern if your S2000 operates in an environment similar to a bulldozer's.

Quick Reply: K & N Air Filter question