S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Justed finished indexing my spark plugs, some observations...

Old 04-22-2003, 01:26 PM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

I see what you mean. The #3 plug was actually pointing almost directly at the back of the motor. That is an interesting point though...... The other three were dead on though...... hmmmmm....
Old 04-22-2003, 03:16 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Do you guys really have reason to believe that the engine designers really wanted the plug armature oriented in a certain direction? If that were true, wouldn't there be some different kind of attachment mechanism than a screw threaded into the engine cover to ensure the orientation?

That said, I see absolutely no harm in what you're doing, wicky. Just wondering if it's worth it. Glad the plug seems to be holding steady.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by wicky

My car runs smooth, and is very strong (222 rwhp on a dynapack, with intake and catback) .
222RWHP? u got a dyno chart? thats about 22 more hp then stock s2k's have been dynoing at.

thats a great deal of hp for just a intake and catback.

what catback and intake do u have?

anything else?
Old 04-22-2003, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by Silvers808

222RWHP? u got a dyno chart? thats about 22 more hp then stock s2k's have been dynoing at.

thats a great deal of hp for just a intake and catback.

what catback and intake do u have?

anything else?
I do have a dyno chart, however my scanner is on the blink right now and I'm spending my money elsewhere for the moment. As stated above the 222 was on a dynapack, the 200 stock is on a dynojet which reads about 10hp lower (or the dynapack reads 10 higher, whichever way you want to look at it.) If you consider the catback (spugen) has dynoed consistently at 5 hp, and AEM's seem to make about 6-8 hp, minus 10 for the dyno, you're dead on 200 hp. I would say the most you could see for I/E combo would be 15 hp, if you're lucky, I think I just have a good motor, although I felt a big difference when these two peices went on. Oh, and those are the brand of catback and intake respectively that I'm running I'm planning on running a piggy-back computer next, I don't want to go too far without tuning. After that headers, then cams and porting the head (depending on what kind of power gain that shows).
Old 04-22-2003, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice!
Old 04-23-2003, 10:29 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wicky
[B]I noted the plug orientation when pulling the plugs and putting them back in, and I also noted where the electrode was facing when reinstalling the plugs.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:54 AM

Plug orientation may be random, but I confirmed someone else's post that the narrowing 'H" on our stock wheels really does point toward the valve stem. Unbelievable!!! There goes my theory that Honda would change the spark plug retention mechanism if they intended to index the plugs. The wheel cap can be rotated in any direction; they just install them pointing at the stem.

Amazing! I get a new surprise on this car every time I read more around here! I'll have to try this indexing trick sometime.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chazmo
[B]Plug orientation may be random, but I confirmed someone else's post that the narrowing 'H" on our stock wheels really does point toward the valve stem.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:43 AM

If only properly indexed "H"s straightened out my alignment, Gernby.

(I ask sooooo much)
Old 04-24-2003, 11:30 AM

it's a little hard to see, but I can make them out, you head is definately not indexed or something..... That's funny how three of mine are so dead on..... I guess those monkeys do good work if you feed 'em enough banana's. Either way I still don't think it'll make an inch of difference on the track IMO.

Chaz - I'm going ot lunch, I'm gonna check my H's right now and if they aren't straight I'm taking them back !

Quick Reply: Justed finished indexing my spark plugs, some observations...