S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Just installed Type RA Tein coilovers

Old 12-31-2001, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed Type RA Tein coilovers

My brother and I just installed them and we unfortunately won't be able to test them until next spring, due to the cold wintery weather were getting up here in Toronto? I've been told that they vastly improve the handling characteristics. Does anyone have any experience with these coilovers on their s2k? If so, I'd be interested in knowing what his/her optimum settings are, stiffness of shocks and lowering height. Many s2k enthusiasts are claiming that a stiffer setting for the shock is a NO NO and that softer is better, especially for the rear.

Cheers,

Have a Safe and Happy New Year,

Old 12-31-2001, 09:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jcheung550
[B]My brother and I just installed them and we unfortunately won't be able to test them until next spring, due to the cold wintery weather were getting up here in Toronto?
Old 12-31-2001, 09:50 AM

Approx 3 hours and it wasn't that difficult at all. Tein's instructions were very clear, though in Japanese but the pictures they provided are self explanatory. They are one of the very few companies that provide you the torque specs for every bolt.
Old 12-31-2001, 09:52 AM

[B]Approx 3 hours and it wasn't that difficult at all.
Old 12-31-2001, 09:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3 hours? not bad at all. Glad to hear about the instructions. As far as tuning these, you'll have to do that to your liking and the car's abilities. How aggressive the settings depends on how often you take your car to the track.

Got any pics of the install?
Old 12-31-2001, 11:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have tried different springs, shocks, preloads, and various compression and rebound settings, and can tell you without hesitation the answer is 'it all depends'. Street, track, surface, driving habits all demand something different.

Slightly stiffer springs, more rebound, and a lower stance can help on the track but kill you on poor roads. And even the stock setup could be softer with more compliance on rough surfaces, but then would but too mushy for high speed on good surfaces. Stock is a good overall compromise.

Since we don't have all the latest electronic ride height / stiffness controls, everything we do is a compromise. I have mine (konis) setup too stiff/low for rough roads but acceptable for smoother surfaces. I reduce the dampening some for the street and use more on the track.

My suggestion is to wait until you can test drive before you decide anything. It has a lot to do with where you drive and what you use the car for.
Old 01-01-2002, 11:51 AM

Hey guys, I'm having some difficulty posting the pics on this site. Any recommendations on how I should go about doing this?
Old 01-01-2002, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[B]Hey guys, I'm having some difficulty posting the pics on this site.
Old 01-06-2002, 11:38 AM

Sorry for the long wait. I was contemplating whether I should register my VIN #. Anyways enjoy.

Let me know if you guys have any questions. I'd still be interested in hearing from someone who has any experiences with TEIN, preferably on a s2k.

Old 01-07-2002, 04:26 PM

Where and how much did u get them for?

Quick Reply: Just installed Type RA Tein coilovers