S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Just installed Fujita CAI, some weird problems

Old 09-13-2008, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed Fujita CAI, some weird problems

I installed a Fujita CAI a few weeks ago and have noticed a few things. First, there is this strange burn/scuff looking mark on the top (pictured below). Does anyone know what this is from or why it's there?! Also, whenever I turn off my car, there's a metal clanking sound for a split second that sounds like its coming from the intake tubing. Does anyone else get that as well?

Also, my CAI came with 4 total metal bands, I overtightened the small one that connects the top rubber piece to the throttle body and snapped it. I replaced it with one of the larger bands and took one of the bands off of the OEM box and put it on the middle part (two pictures below). Is this ok to do or does anything look off?

And last but not least, I have this weird burn mark on the front part of my hood. Anyone else have it for know what it's from?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, this is the first ever CAI I have seen, touched, bought, and installed in person so I basically had no idea what I was doing. It seems to work though! Also, leftover clips from the fender liner and under panel ftw!
Old 09-13-2008, 06:17 AM

The marks are from the intake touching the hood. The clank you hear is probably the same thing just the intake tune smaking the hood while the motor shakes around a bit. And as long as the clamps you used are getting snug you will be okay with them. Do not over tighten them they just need to make the rubber seal on the metal.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the burn marks are from both the intake and the hood rubbing. ive heard abotu this issue among a few people. you should be fine with the clamps as long as they are closed tight enough. obviously over tightening them was a bad idea. as far as the clanking sound it might be that the intake is rubbing against the hood again but since everything is off you hear it even more? but i dont know about that for sure. its just my guess.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:23 AM

I don't get any rubbing on mine:

The clanking might be coming from the ARB. I have put a bit of tape inbetween to stop it:
Old 09-13-2008, 09:10 AM

Thanks guys! Yea I thought it was from rubbing against the hood but my install looks correct so I have no idea why it would do that. I guess one day I will try reinstalling it. But it took me 4 hours the first time with my friend and I'm not looking forward to taking the thing apart and doing it all over.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2008, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rubber coupler behind the driver side cooling fan: it could be inserted not fully, in other words, perhaps it should be loosened up and inserted deeper. That way the top piece would go 'down', lower, thus creating some clearance between the CAI pipe bend and the hood.

Mark K.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running into this hood rubbing with clanking noise issue on my MY06. I put a piece of foam on the front sway bar where the CAI wants to touch, so I don't think that's making much if any noise, and it's pretty well damped so it wouldn't "clank."

I am getting a clank, and seeing where the contact appears to be (just like the pictures in the OP), I guessed it was the hood bumping the top of the CAI that was making the noise. I drove around the parking garage at <10mph with the hood propped up to check, and all the noises disappear. I could actually see the engine move a little every time I had expected to hear a clank. Also, with the hood unclamped (locked but not closed tight) the sound is gone. So I think the noise is clearly the CAI moving around when the engine moves due to play in the motor mounts combined with too little clearance. I can get the noise by just free revving quickly to 5k!

Here's another thread on the subject, from the "other" forum:
http://forums.s2kca.com/showthread.php?t=19919

The MY06 apparently have a higher throttle body, and my hood has from the factory what I guess is insulation on the underside; it's a black piece of very thin plastic covering much of the area of the hood. The CAI seems to be rubbing / bouncing against it--it has a flat spot corresponding to the black spot on top of the CAI.

I wanted to ask if anyone else had this issue or had figured this out. I'm pretty sure this noise wasn't happening until recently, and I've had it installed for probably 10-15k miles now. The weather got colder, and maybe things have just moved around. Could I have installed the bottom tube reversed? I don't think it could fit that way, but I'm having trouble figuring this out. I'll have to spend some more time tooling around with the mounts, but I wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone else had figured this issue out. It seems to be a design flaw, but maybe it's easy enough to work around.

And it sounds amazing in VTEC. I absolutely love the noise.