S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Just Installed Front RCA's

Old 01-06-2009, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Installed Front RCA's

Hi I've just installed a set of front RCA's by a taiwanese company called Hardrace. Ever since the installation I've been hearing foreign sounds coming from the frontal suspensions.. I would describe the sounds as something loose and sometimes when the sounds are really bad it sounds like something knocks..?

Anyone having problems just after installing their front RCA's?

I havn't gotten an alignment after installing them yet but I plan to very soon.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know any s2ks with RCAs. I don't think very many people run them. Even the serious but amateur track guys I know don't run them.

But...some other questions...if you have RCAs, what other suspension mods do you have? What type of construction are the RCAs (any pics)? Have you done any testing to see where you want the roll center?
Old 01-06-2009, 07:13 PM

To my knowledge most track guys have RCA's if they wanted to get out more than 2 degrees of camber in the front.

I have buddy club RSD's.

This is what they look on my car..

Old 01-06-2009, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by racecar fun' date='Jan 6 2009, 08:13 PM
To my knowledge most track guys have RCA's if they wanted to get out more than 2 degrees of camber in the front.

I have buddy club RSD's.

This is what they look on my car..

Those look really nice.. just checked Buddy Club's site.. do you have a local So. Cal shop that has this part..

David
Old 01-06-2009, 09:39 PM

Just to clarify, I have Buddy club Coilovers. And Hardrace RCA's.

you can look up buddy club parts from their website www.buddyclub.us

and I bought the hardrace RCA's from a member on the boards, but they do have a website
www.hardrace.com
Old 01-06-2009, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RCA stands for Roll Center Adjuster.
these do not give you more negative camber. the reason why j's racing RCA's offer more negative camber is because the ball joint is offset. the ball joint on these are in the center.

as far as the noise goes, sorry, don't really have an answer for you
Old 01-07-2009, 08:27 AM

to the seller who told me they would.

I took the following from maxrev's site

"...The front RCA is fairly easy to install with a ball joint remover but the rear requires you to remove the Axle Bolt and the rear hub assembly so the part can be pressed in at a machine shop. "

I only have the RCA's in the front and my mechanic just used his tools and hand tightened everything.. that should be enough right?

I was going to ask evasive some questions about the sounds when I get a new alignment but since these rca's won't induce camber I don't have a reason to go right now.

Anyone have any quick inexpensive paths for me to get more camber up front? (I don' t need a big range like the J's offers, all I want is at least -3 deg.'s)

This way I'll go to evasive for the alignment, ask them the question and hopefully I'll be able to help you guys incase you run into the same problem as me...
Old 01-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by racecar fun' date='Jan 6 2009, 11:13 PM
Hmmm...not sure where you heard that about the s2k.

I've had -2.5deg on the front before and never had to use RCAs or a camber kit. I was lowered about 1.25".

But what are you trying to accomplish with -3deg? What kind of racing are you looking to do? Or are you going for a look? What front tire size are you going to run with that camber?

Here is the deal with RCAs...they are useless if you don't do some testing to find the optimal roll center and then shim them accordingly. Just putting them on off-the-shelf doesn't make you much better off than if you left the stock ball joint.

But as for the noise...make sure everything is torqued. Look for any thing that might be rubbing...like the swaybar or endlinks. As a last resort, try pulling the RCAs and putting the stock ball joint back on. If that fixes the problem, then the ball joint in the RCA may be bad or the grease dried out.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:05 AM

I'm actually trying to clear my front fenders because they're thrashed and cutting up my current balding tires. I'm planning to put on another set of tires but I don't want my fenders to cut them up again.

I'm running 17x9 +54's w/ 255/40's.

At the same time I'm planning to attend some events like at willow springs/buttonwillow.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:10 PM

What would you guys recommend for a dedicated track car and want to run more then 2.5 negative camber.. been searching for arms .. RCA's and seems J's is the only game in town.. is this true...

David

Quick Reply: Just Installed Front RCA's