S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Just installed Apex'I N1 exhaust, but one problem....

Old 09-24-2003, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed Apex'I N1 exhaust, but one problem....

Just installed my exhaust took about 45 minutes. It is loud as a mother f-er. I have one problem though. While bolting the cat bolts back on, I ended up stripping two of the bolts that are permanently attached to the bolt. I managed to remove one by tapping it with a hammer, but the other won't budge. Anyone know how to remove those??? I hear a whining, buzzing noise sometimes and i'm afraid it is exhaust leak from the cat/midpipe connection. I need your advice, help me out.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Heh looks like you made you choice! Can you give some more detail? I stipped the two bolts that went from the cat to the exhaust, is that what your talkin about?
Old 09-26-2003, 02:37 AM

Hey Max. Ya, those are the bolts I am talking about. My air gun I think was too torquey and it ended up stripping the top and side bolt. One of the bolts were already loose, so I removed it, but the top one still won't budge. You know how they are permamnently attached to the cat flange? I tried to hammer it out, but it won't move, so I am running my exhaust without one nut on that bolt. It might be leaking some exhaust too. By the way, the Apex is nice exhaust. It's loud and sounds nice. Thanks Max.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:43 AM

First question, did you use any lubrication (wd-40) to help take them off? Although it sounds like it doesn't matter much now, your costing yourself 10-15 bucks for 2 bolts that will be ordered through Honda. Next time u need to spray it and let the wd40 work it's magic.

-Trung
Old 09-26-2003, 08:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by TokeMadBowls420
Hey Max. Ya, those are the bolts I am talking about. My air gun I think was too torquey and it ended up stripping the top and side bolt. One of the bolts were already loose, so I removed it, but the top one still won't budge. You know how they are permamnently attached to the cat flange? I tried to hammer it out, but it won't move, so I am running my exhaust without one nut on that bolt. It might be leaking some exhaust too. By the way, the Apex is nice exhaust. It's loud and sounds nice. Thanks Max.
Just took a look at that bolts on my car. I stripped them also when removing the stock exhaust from the cat. My friend told me that these bolts were weak to being with and his friend with a ITR had also stripped the bolts. Well i had no choice to but force the thing back on stripping it further, but we managed to tighten it real good. But if i were to ever want to remove the exhaust, id prolly have to take it to a shop to replace the bolt.
Are you saying you want to remove the bolts thats attached to the cat? Or the thing that screws on at the end? If once is on tight, is it possible to try to force screw the other one in since its messed up already? The only real fix is prolly takin it to a muffler shop and having them cut the bolt off and replace them.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Hey i was just wondering, did you happen to be drive on deerherst (sp?) Wends afternnoon?
Old 09-26-2003, 09:23 AM

I also broke one of mine and stripped another, they appear to have a single "locking" thread, its a thread that only partly connected to the bolt. kind of like a short little finger, acts like a spring and keeps the nut in place. the bolts do come out but you have to beat on them a bit. new ones aren't cheap, and you'd think that for 7 bucks a bolt they would be out of something that didn't rust away.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:26 AM

oh and the new replacement ones seem to be the deformed nut type, maybe the fact that everyone breaks their bolts made them change it. probably cheaper to just find some stainless hardware and it will last longer too.although with the larger holes in the cat there might be a bit of slop in the alignment.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:53 PM

Max, I am talking about the bolts on the cats. There are three. One is still on the cat and in working condition. One stripped, but it loosened out of the cat flange, and the third one is still on the flange, but it is stripped. I just replaced the stripped one with a regular bolt and nut, and it is causing no problems. Max, were you guys the ones that were all pulled over? If it was you, why were you guys pulled over?
Old 09-26-2003, 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by TokeMadBowls420
Max, I am talking about the bolts on the cats. There are three. One is still on the cat and in working condition. One stripped, but it loosened out of the cat flange, and the third one is still on the flange, but it is stripped. I just replaced the stripped one with a regular bolt and nut, and it is causing no problems. Max, were you guys the ones that were all pulled over? If it was you, why were you guys pulled over?

Ya we were the ones sittin on the sidewalk...cause some of my friends got into an argument with these persian or arabic people, I guess someone called the police on us or something. The funny thing was everyone who passed by us looked and and a on there face, but when I saw you pass you were like looking straight ahead heheh

I just looked again, I suppose any bolt would work as long as it hold it tight and together. If it works now then it should be fine, you just might want to check it in a week to see if its leaking or anything.

Quick Reply: Just installed Apex'I N1 exhaust, but one problem....