S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Just did an oil change - few tiny metal flakes

Old 03-24-2016, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just did an oil change - few tiny metal flakes

hey guys,
i just completed my first oil change in my s2000. The car has 132k km and the previous owner told me he changed the oil regularly, however it was quite dark in colour so I decided to change it. He was using a semi synthetic oil and I changed it over to a full synthetic.

I changed it without jacking up the car, it was actually quite easy to reach down to the sump plug once my airbox was taken out. When initially trying to undo the sump plug I was turning the wrong way and I think I may have tightened it a little. After realising my mistake I turned the correct way and drained out all the oil. Prior to changing the oil I added a liquimoly oil flush additive. After draining I noticed a couple tiny metal flakes here and there, very tiny, smaller than sand. I filled her up again, took the car for a drive and it seems to be running much better. The oil is now a nice golden translucent colour too. I sifted through all the oil later, made a huge mess and poured it into another container, looking for metal. The few flakes I found were tiny and I'm not 100% sure they were in the oil. Am I being too pedantic or should I be alarmed? I don't thrash my cars and drive them very conservatively - I occasionally hit vtec here and there but the loud sounds scare me too much so I don't do it often (hks exhaust).

On another note, there was a slight engine ticking sound (louder when driving next the the curb) when I had my aem v2 intake. After the oil change I put the stock airbox back on (using the aem filter fitted to the intake tube using a pvc pipe) and it seems to be a little quieter now. Would this be from the intake or the oil change?

I only recently got my s2000 (traded a 350z roadster for it) and it would totally shatter me if the engine was fudged up

P.s. I'm in Australia and I changed the oil from a nulon 10w30 semi-synthetic to a penrite HPR 5 5w40.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is possible that you stripped the drain plug and some of the aluminum flaked off into the oil as you drained it. You should keep an eye on it and make sure it is not leaking or anything like that. Also, you might want to send a sample of your oil off to be tested and see exactly whats inside. That will give you a definite answer to if there is metal in the oil, or how the engine has been cared for.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:16 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Are the metal flakes magnetic ?
Old 03-24-2016, 08:55 AM

the oil and oil filter is gone. Should I do another oil change within the next few weeks just to check again and flush out anything else in there? or is that overkill for the moment?

the oil in the dipstick looked fine after a decent drive tonight and i had it parked for a while and there doesn't seem to be any leaks. On a side note when i was emptying the oil some oil spilled and i used an old towel to try clean the oil around the pan and noticed a small leaf in the pan too so maybe some contaminants go in from the towel?

I did have to strain quite a bit to get the sump plug off, but the washer and plug both looked fine. Also I might add that i changed the aem v2 to the stock intake a week ago (stock had been sitting around for a while) and i didn't clean the intake pipe. reinstalled the aem v2 (again without cleaning the pipe) then removed it again at the oil change as its started to rain quite a bit and the whole hydrolocking issue has gor me scared.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:29 AM

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts

You don't have to dump all the oil, just take off the oil filter-open it up and look to see whats there.

ROD
Old 03-24-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

there is a difference in noise, stock box vs cold air intake. I would assume the car needs a valve adjustment and do it. Also look at the plugs, maybe they need a change as well. If the other fluids are as dirty as the oil you may want to change them too....clutch, diff, brake, etc...sounds like the car needs some tlc.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:15 PM

Ok so I'm pretty sure the metal flakes were from getting the oil filter off using one of the universal adjustable oil filter tools. there were scratches and dents on the filter plus i scratched up the new one quite bad when i was putting it in too...
Old 03-26-2016, 04:22 PM

Received 3,752 Likes on 2,648 Posts

Our oil pans will trap metal in the sump area, any heavy bits will hang out in there for a while, the lighter stuff will drain out.

Do a used oil analysis of your next oil change interval for some peace of mind, always good to do every so often. You can also check behind the vtec solenoid screen, metal pieces flowing through the oil system will get trapped at the screen, easy to inspect.