S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Just did an ECU reset

Old 05-10-2010, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just did an ECU reset

So I followed the DIY ECU reset last night. Super quick and easy to do, makes me wonder why I hadn't done it before. I've owned my for a year and 8 months (46k miles ) and have never done the ECU reset.

Initial Thoughts:

Car idles much better, doesn't bog when I come to a stop as if the clutch wasn't fully engaged, and I feel like it runs a little better on the top end too.

Right after I followed the DIY, I went out to the highway in front of my apartment complex and did a few runs up to redline 1st-4th gear. Car was pulling really strong.

If you haven't done an ECU reset, I high recommend you do so. I'll probably do one every few months or before big road trips - oh, and before emissions testing as it cleared my check engine light (main reason I did it).
Old 05-10-2010, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That means that at sometime you got at least one tankful of crappy gas and your ecu "learned" that gas. Unfortunately it always seems to learn how to cut power but never seems to learn to increase power when you put good gas back in.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,May 10 2010, 10:39 AM
That means that at sometime you got at least one tankful of crappy gas and your ecu "learned" that gas. Unfortunately it always seems to learn how to cut power but never seems to learn to increase power when you put good gas back in.
That could be true. Also don't forget that in some places, they run different blends for summer and winter and here in GA we just switched over to our summer blend
Old 05-10-2010, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What CEL did you clear? just because it cleared the check engine light now doesnt mean it wont come back. And when you try to get your car inspected it will show that the emissions system is "not ready" and you wont be able to get the car inspected. The only way to get rid of the check engine light is to fix what is causing it to throw the code
Old 05-10-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by s2klariat,May 10 2010, 11:10 AM
What CEL did you clear? just because it cleared the check engine light now doesnt mean it wont come back. And when you try to get your car inspected it will show that the emissions system is "not ready" and you wont be able to get the car inspected. The only way to get rid of the check engine light is to fix what is causing it to throw the code
It was a P0420 due to my getting my resonator cut out. The welds weren't perfect, so there is a leak. It's been coming on and off every few thousand miles for the past year almost. I just need it to be clear to do emissions - It did the same thing last year, but luckily was clear when I went for my emissions inspection.

Just have to get past this hurdle then I can get the pipe rewelded when I get my test pipe installed next week.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:45 AM

i plan on doing a reset wednesday when i put on my pwjdm intake then again next month when my testpipe/exhaust comes in wooo!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Resetting the ECU doesn't do anything. The ecu constantly adjusts for your driving conditions. It doesn't learn for 15 minutes and then stop. If it got better, it will go back again. Something is dirty or defective.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by SgtB,May 10 2010, 01:39 PM
Resetting the ECU doesn't do anything. The ecu constantly adjusts for your driving conditions. It doesn't learn for 15 minutes and then stop. If it got better, it will go back again. Something is dirty or defective.
Sooooo much wasted effort to pull a fuse. I get what you're saying, the ECU is adaptive yada yada yada, but to me, it made a difference and took minimal effort, so why not do one once in a while?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by SgtB,May 10 2010, 09:39 AM
It does do somthing. It resets it to factory maps and settings. If you happen to get a bad tank of gas or a mod just doesnt agree and the car pulls timing and fuel it will stay in that detuned state unless reset. it does not have the ability to increase hp or anything like self tuning, it can only retard from factory standings. so if you were detuned for w/e reason it can be beneficial to reset it.

also the fact that he got results in his idle as well as bog while comming to stop proves at least in his case it helped.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by 4forall,May 10 2010, 09:47 AM
It does do somthing. It resets it to factory maps and settings. If you happen to get a bad tank of gas or a mod just doesnt agree and the car pulls timing and fuel it will stay in that detuned state unless reset. it does not have the ability to increase hp or anything like self tuning, it can only retard from factory standings. so if you were detuned for w/e reason it can be beneficial to reset it.

also the fact that he got results in his idle as well as bog while comming to stop proves at least in his case it helped.
Resetting the ECU may help and clear the check engine light because it is reset back to factory defaults but like any electronic that adjusts to changes it will eventually learn the problem again, and possibly throw the check engine light again.

SgtB was correct in saying that resetting will not fix the problem for good, the problem most likely will return. I have seen this many times before just a FYI.

Quick Reply: Just did an ECU reset