S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

just did a compression test

Old 05-03-2009, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just did a compression test

so my local shop just did a compression test on my car. i was planning on turboing it very soon and wanted to make sure of a health engine before i did anything.
well it sucks balls.

my compression

cyl 1 220
cyl 2 230
cyl 3 210
cyl 4 180

what do you guys think about it.
i know cyl 4 is reading kinda low but the odd thing is the car runs very smooth and i dont even notice a diff when i campared it to a friends s2000 in driving feel and accel power.

my car is a 02 with 125k miles. from what ppl are telling me i should try a topend cleaner to see if maybe one of the valves on cyl 4 has some buildup around the vavles and not closing properly

just wanted to see what you guys think and get any advice. i might just build my engine but not really looking for crazy hp even when i turbo im only looking for maybe 400whp at most off of a gt30r
Old 05-03-2009, 02:00 PM

400whp means youre basically doubling the power from stock.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

u can try something like seafoam, but dont get your hopes up. might be time for a rebuild. you would need to do a leakdown test to see where the problem is.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

i wouldnt worry too much. if your car feels great then dont worry about the numbers. however if your turboing it may lead to problems. you could try a top end cleaner and an oil flush and retest but it just sounds like normal wear on a high mileage engine.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:59 PM

yeah a top end cleaner is what im planning next to see how it goes and redo a compression and leak down test.

if its the rings i might just build it. im just trying no to do any over kill when i do it.

if it is the rings im still debating on what i should do. if the pistons and rods look good should i just replace the rings and do a 3mm hg or should i go for some lower commpression pistons while i have the engine cracked open. im leaning trards the low comp pistons as they will not cost much more then a 3mm hg and they will be out anyways when new rings get put in.

its not that i want to go cheap or anything. money isnt that important as this is my toy and dd during the summer when it nice out. i have a wrx for winter and people carrying. but i just dont want to overkill to much on anything as the engine will see 10-12 psi most of the time and maybe a bit more on high boost if and when i take it to the track.
if i went with a 3mmhg i might just get new stock rods and pistons as they are pretty cheap. or i would go with low comp pistons and maybe new aftermarket rods with w reg hg.
if i went with low comp pistons i would need to resleeve as well correct?? well even if i didnt need to i might as well lol. but im just feeling that is over kill. because from what i have read on here a 3mm hg can be taken to 400 hp without much problem and some have gone much higher then that to the 500 hp range.

hmmm maybe i should have started this in the fi section.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:33 AM

Drop some oil in cyl 4. Then,take the compression. If the compression goes higher than 180, for sure the ring is bad.

400hp? that's a lot of zhyte. Turboeng a hi-compression engine without
lowering the compression is asking for trouble.

The rest of your compression is fine but not great in a turbo spec.
The s2000 engine is not meant for turbo. I think you should hone the cylinders, install a new rings then use a thicker head gasket. Although this is a half ass job, but far better than what you did (installing a turbo without lowering it).
Old 05-04-2009, 06:00 AM

what is a topend cleaner?
Old 05-04-2009, 07:20 AM

i'd say sleeve the motor and get some low comp pistons
Old 05-04-2009, 08:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lotus7racer,May 4 2009, 09:33 AM
Drop some oil in cyl 4. Then,take the compression. If the compression goes higher than 180, for sure the ring is bad.

400hp? that's a lot of zhyte. Turboeng a hi-compression engine without
lowering the compression is asking for trouble.

The rest of your compression is fine but not great in a turbo spec.
The s2000 engine is not meant for turbo. I think you should hone the cylinders, install a new rings then use a thicker head gasket. Although this is a half ass job, but far better than what you did (installing a turbo without lowering it).
Please stop posting false information. Please.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by spectacle,May 4 2009, 11:57 AM
Please stop posting false information. Please.
I will be glad and will apologize if you tell me which false statement.

...explain

No single word like your post.

Quick Reply: just did a compression test