S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Just changed to GM Synchromesh FM but,

Old 07-23-2004, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just changed to GM Synchromesh FM but,

Ok guys I just changed out my tranny fluid with the GM Synchromesh FM!! But I forgot to use the drain plug washer.

How detrimental is this???

I'm going for a test drive now. Pics and review to come later tonight. (I managed to do the tranny flush without using jack or jackstands. I used ramps and my driveway and it was much simpler like that).

Quick Review so far: Just went for a 20 min of intensive driving.

* 8500RPM 1st to 2nd lightning quick shifts which would normally give me grinds, didn't happen.

* Sub 25mph rolling stop downshifts to 1st, normally it would take lots of effort to go into 1st, but now it downshifts to 1st smoothly.

* car neutral and rowing through the gears, I can't really feel it is "oh so smoother than before", but it does go into 1st and 6th very smoothly now.

*6th to 4th downshift, very very smooth.

* so far, I tried to replicate my usual grinds, but was unsuccessful. However, only time will tell if this stuff is for real. Well I guess if Gernby couldn't replicate a grind at a track event, I guess this is for real.

Now, Xviper or Road Rage or other experts, please tell me it is ok to not use a washer for the tranny drain plug. I put the washer in my coin holder so I don't forget it next time.

Old 07-23-2004, 01:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you forget to use a new one, or forget the washer altogether?

I guess you will answer your own question shortly, about leaking anyway. Make sure you clean the area completely, then when you shut down, feel the plug with your index finger for fluid. It should be dry. Oh, be careful not to burn yourself, of course.

Personally, it would bother me, and so I would get the washer, and a new plug, then oull the old one and insert the new WASHERED one as fast as possible to save yourself some fluid replacement. The washer not only prevents leakage, but acts IMO to offset any tendency of the plug to work itself loose. The notion of that happening at any time, and since Murphy Law always applies to me, I would do it right. But that is just me being anal again.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:39 PM

Oh ok Road Rage. hmmm. But I'm not sure if I can swap the plugs that quick. I will end up having to open the fill plug to put more fluids.. Actually, no matter how quick you can swap the plugs, you will have to add replacement fluids. The old fluid came out pretty fast.

gosh I feel so stupid.

And the pic of my setup above, it looks kind of not level in the picture, but it was perfectly level.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hokiemax,Jul 23 2004, 04:39 PM
Oh ok Road Rage. hmmm. But I'm not sure if I can swap the plugs that quick. I will end up having to open the fill plug to put more fluids.. Actually, no matter how quick you can swap the plugs, you will have to add replacement fluids. The old fluid came out pretty fast.

gosh I feel so stupid.

And the pic of my setup above, it looks kind of not level in the picture, but it was perfectly level.
You posted all that good subjective stuff, but you did not check to see if your tranny was leaking without the washer? You can do it without jacking the car, at least I can - I am 6' 200 lbs. Please do so, or I will not be able to sleep - I like Hokies - some of my best friends are Hokies.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a Hokie!!!

And so is my brother who just moved to Fairfax about a month ago. He's a Hokie grad as of this past May.

GO HOKIES!!!

Sorry for the random post. Other Hokies would understand.

And Hokiemax, it would bother me as well to not have the washer in its place. I'd fix it just to make myself feel better.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:15 PM

Received 1,381 Likes on 828 Posts

I've had about 4 S2000's come to my shop with no washer on the oil pan drain bolt! However, none of them were leaking, or loose. If it were mine, the washer would keep me sane
Old 07-23-2004, 06:16 PM

Go Hokies !!!!!!

My brother is a hokie too, so is my sister!!

lets kick some USC ass !!!!

Ok about the car, I checked it and it hasn't leaked yet.. The thing is, it is pretty hard to put the new fluids into the tranny and I don't wanna be repeating that again this soon. I'm gonna look into a vacuum pump set up that pushes fluids out of a bottle. Then a tranny or differential flush would really be a simple 10min job. Anyone has anything like this ?
Old 07-24-2004, 05:02 PM

Received 1,381 Likes on 828 Posts

I have the perfect tool, I'll try for a pic...
Old 07-24-2004, 05:09 PM

I know this is a little off topic, but I'm another Hokie from VA checking in!