S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Just bought my first S! now.. question about grinding noise

Old 07-14-2013, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my first S! now.. question about grinding noise

Just got my S yesterday and I am beyond stoked. I love this car. Anyway, I did some searching and reading and read about input shaft bearings and clutch buzz but from my novice S2000 experience I dont believe it is what it is. Actually I'm a bit paranoid when I buy an used car and the littlest noises make me wonder if the tranny is going to be blow or something.. the noise could in fact be 100% normal which I suspect but I dont want to brush it off in case it's a major issue.

In this clip, you can hear a slight grindy or rough noise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdGC8QpnUlI
THIS IS NOT MY CAR. THIS IS NOT MY CAR. but i wanted to demonstrate that that noise is what it sounds like whenever I decelerate. So I am driving from a red light, i go 1>2>3>4 and then there's a car in front so I let off the gas and as it decelerates you hear that noise that sounds kind of grind-y. It could be completely normal but I dont know. It's not that loud but it is noticeable and it is definitely coming from under the shifter. It's not the engine, it's a very uniform form that gets quieter as the RPMs drop and louder at higher RPMs but ONLY when decelerating or letting the foot off the gas.

I'm actually not 100% if it's under the shifter or from the diff but I highly doubt that it's the diff I feel like I would be able to hear it from the back. I also had a car with a diff problem and I know the differential whining noise when I hear it.

Does anyone know what Im talking about? Is this normal? As far the transmission is concerned, the previous owner said not only did he spend $1000 on a new honda OEM clutch and flywheel resurface but he also got a brand new transmission and it has about 10,000 miles or so on it? I can definitely feel that it's a new clutch though. Tranny has no problem shifting through all the gears. The shifter sometimes doesn't go into reverse like it locks me out and I'll have to go to another gear and then R (a trick I learned on my mustang) but I may not be doing it right. Still getting used to pushing down, sometimes i go into 6th.