S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

just bought 08 possible oil filter leak

Old 09-22-2015, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought 08 possible oil filter leak

So, i just bought a used 08 s2k in berlina black. It has a kraftwerks kit installed. Everything was hunky dory until the check engine light turned on this afternoon. The dealer is mailing me the flashpro so i wasnt able to check the code myself. I drove to a local firestone to check the engine code, but they were too busy. On the way to the nearest autozone, I heard a strange fwoomph noise (i have no BOV since it is a SC) and then i saw smoke coming from the back of the car.
I had been going about 35 mph in 3rd gear so i wasnt straining the engine when this happened. I put it into neutral, coasted to the side of the road and shut it off. I got the car towed back to the firestone lot since it was the only place within AAA's 3 mile tow limit, but it was already closed by then.
After looking at pictures, and doing a bit of research, i believe that my oil filter fell off (if i was still at my car right now i would check). I doubt the dealer knew about the need to torque down the s2k oil filter.

The oil was dripping from the bottom of the oil pan, but there were no signs of a leak when looking from the top side. I believe the oil filter is located on the left side (if you are facing the front of the car) just above the oil pan, but it might be relocated for the kraftwerks kit, but idk where to. I imagine it is not far. I also imagine that the "fwoomph" i heard was my oil filter hitting the ground. I will go back and look tomorrow once i have a car again.

Anyways, i wanted to ask the forum their thoughts on the possible implications to the engine's health. I imagine i might have to lawyer up and ask the dealership for a big fat check for a new engine, since i owned the car for less than 24 hours when it did this (it's better to be an s2k owner for a day, than a miata owner for a lifetime!)
Old 09-23-2015, 09:47 AM

b b b bumppppp
Old 09-23-2015, 09:51 AM

Update, the light was not a check engine light. It was actually the TPMS light.

I dont recall seeing the light come on before i shut my engine off. There was still a bunch of oil coming out for then next hour or so after the car was shut off, but it probably spewed a quart out on the road before i was able to stop and shut it off.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With a modified car like you have it is almost impossible for us to help at this point. Identify the source of the leak and the amount of oil still in the pan as a start.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:42 AM

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,045 Posts

TPMS light can come and go depending on temp/tire temp and pressure, or sending unit. Could have hit a nail and the developed a slow leak in a tire.

If indeed you lost your oil filter, the fact you mentioned the oil pressure light did NOT illuminate is a very good thing. Engine was not racing too bad and you shut it off quickly before all oil pressure was lost (assuming the departure of the filter is what occured).

Engine should not have damage from loss of oil pressure from THAT event.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did the mechanic say the oil filter was missing?
Old 09-23-2015, 03:49 PM

Update:
Dealer towed the car back to their lot.
The oil plug was loose.
The plug was tightened, filter replaced, and the oil was refilled with mobil 1 (i didnt choose the oil).

I plan to check the oil pan and vtec solenoid for shards of metal (i have read this happens when oil is starved).
I also plan to run a compression test, but i have no idea what a supercharger is going to do to my numbers. I just hope they are even.

I went back to the scene of the crime. The oil slick was approx 1/8 mile long. That is the distance that i coasted in neutral before shutting the engine off. I certainly didnt keep going after i saw smoke coming from the back! (it was oil on the catalytic converter.

Anyways, i have another problem now. When i was searching the trunk for the front tow hook, i saw some strange greenish bluish fluid in the bottom of the spare tire compartment. Assuming this is used diff fluid, but i dont know for sure. The rear diff isnt leaking, so maybe someone just spilled it in the trunk.
The pleasant surprise was a 10" sub in the trunk that i didnt even know about! i thought she sounded loud.

I'm picking her up tomorrow. We will see if she is feeling any better. I am relieved to be an owner of a working s2k again. I had to drive my FB6 Si around in her absence OH THE HUMANITY!
Old 09-23-2015, 05:16 PM

What is the dealer's position on all of this? For example, I would be asking the dealer to do the compression test [if you think they are honest] and any other diagnostic assessments to ensure no damage was done. Do you have some sort of warranty from the dealer with the original purchase? If yes, I would want them to extend the coverage. The just cannot tighten to drain plug, put on a new filter and oil and expect you to go away a happy customer. This should all be documented in the event you need legal counsel down the road. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Yaupon
What is the dealer's position on all of this? For example, I would be asking the dealer to do the compression test [if you think they are honest] and any other diagnostic assessments to ensure no damage was done. Do you have some sort of warranty from the dealer with the original purchase? If yes, I would want them to extend the coverage. The just cannot tighten to drain plug, put on a new filter and oil and expect you to go away a happy customer. This should all be documented in the event you need legal counsel down the road. Good luck and keep us posted.
I agree. I have every discussion recorded via email and text message. I have requested compresssion test but no response about that. I have a 30 day warranty from the dealer which entitles me to at least 50% of the parts and labor required for repairs.

I plan on running a compression test after i pick it up.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:27 AM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

The antifreeze for this car is greenish-bluish. Someone probably spilled some coolant in your trunk.

To be sure there was no damage I'd get a used oil analysis done. That will tell you more than anything else.

Quick Reply: just bought 08 possible oil filter leak