S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Junkyard Special Kia 4.77 ring & pinion install

Old 03-07-2007, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what would be the total amount after purchase of kia gears, ricks install kit and shop time/labor?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Mar 7 2007, 01:45 AM
300sx Posted on Mar 7 2007, 02:15 AM

The extra caps are just that: extra caps.
I do not recall they were threaded anywhere (apart from the locking screw thread on top)

The EOM bearing caps do not have the mounting surafce to do that.
IMO you have to machine those mounting surfaces on the OEM cap to get the proper "help" from the extra cap.
If there is room between them, then the OEM cap may still flex and thats the start of final drive damage.

Get yourself a S2000 service manual before attempting to work on your S2000 diff.
Please!

I think you misunderstood me, I was referring to the stock caps being threaded, not the Comptech "secondary" caps. I was thinking of a way to ditch the stock caps all together but like I said I have yet to tear either diff apart more than pictured so I don't know if this is possible. Won't be able to mess with it today, I decided to get some sort of stomach flu instead
Old 03-07-2007, 11:28 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

300sx Posted on Mar 7 2007, 08:08 PM
I was thinking of a way to ditch the stock caps all together but like I said I have yet to tear either diff apart more than pictured so I don't know if this is possible.
Simple answer : No, that is not possible.

As soon as the hole is machined where the Torsen bearings go (in 1 setup) the bearing cap & the side its mounted on becomes a "set", one diff housing has 2 bearing caps, that makes 2 "sets" and they are married for life with that particular diff housing, one cap mounted on one side, one on the other side and it should stay that way, no divorce or swap possible.
The thread (for the adjuster ring) makes it extra impossible.

Get well soon
Old 03-08-2007, 06:45 PM

[QUOTE=300sx,Mar 7 2007, 11:08 AM]I think you misunderstood me, I was referring to the stock caps being threaded, not the Comptech "secondary" caps. I was thinking of a way to ditch the stock caps all together but like I said I have yet to tear either diff apart more than pictured so I don't know if this is possible. Won't be able to mess with it today, I decided to get some sort of stomach flu instead
Old 03-09-2007, 02:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kill,Mar 5 2007, 07:03 PM
if you reinstall them into another diff they have to be broken in again...or else you could blow them up...everytime you remove them they have to be meshed correctly...and they need to go through a brake in process...
after I broke my 4.56 I re-installed some low mileage stock gears I got from HardTopGuy (hanks again ) and went straigth to the drag strip to brake them in

Are the 4.77 from an automatic or manual Kia SPortage? Both have different spare part numbers.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Mar 8 2007, 12:28 AM
300sx Posted on Mar 7 2007, 08:08 PM

Simple answer : No, that is not possible.

As soon as the hole is machined where the Torsen bearings go (in 1 setup) the bearing cap & the side its mounted on becomes a "set", one diff housing has 2 bearing caps, that makes 2 "sets" and they are married for life with that particular diff housing, one cap mounted on one side, one on the other side and it should stay that way, no divorce or swap possible.
The thread (for the adjuster ring) makes it extra impossible.

Get well soon
You would not believe it but a local machine shop managed to manufacture new caps for me that matched the thread. (stock ones gave up under 400whp ) took them a week and 250USD. But the guy told me I will brake anything before those caps give up.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:24 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

jakub2000 Posted on Mar 9 2007, 12:21 PM
You would not believe it but a local machine shop managed to manufacture new caps for me that matched the thread. (stock ones gave up under 400whp ) took them a week and 250USD. But the guy told me I will brake anything before those caps give up.
Impressive
Did they use the original (OEM) bearing size?
Because if you can find a conical bearing with the same inner diameter (for the Torsen housing), not that much wider (or the same width) with a bigger outside diameter one could make complete new "holes" and thread them.
It takes only 1-2 mm in outside diameter to be able do that IMO.
That involves making new locking rings too.

I'll bet they spend 4 out of the 5 days lining your diff housing up on a milling machine

Even more important: Did you take pictures?

Old 03-10-2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by SilentWhiteNoise,Mar 8 2007, 07:45 PM
Can't you just take a bucket with you to work on the car? I can just see it now....

1. Remove Diff from s2k
3. Open s2k Diff
5. Open Kia Diff
7. Swap Diff
9. Reinstall Diff in S2k
10. Take pride in the work you have done (while barfing)
12. Back in house
HAHAHA, that definatly would have been the case! I don't think I went an hour Wednesday without puking . I'm finally going to get back in the garage tomorrow, I promise lol!
Old 03-11-2007, 09:06 AM

kia.diff is auto or manual?
Old 03-15-2007, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS' date='Mar 9 2007, 04:24 PM
jakub2000 Posted on Mar 9 2007, 12:21 PM

Impressive
Did they use the original (OEM) bearing size?
Because if you can find a conical bearing with the same inner diameter (for the Torsen housing), not that much wider (or the same width) with a bigger outside diameter one could make complete new "holes" and thread them.
It takes only 1-2 mm in outside diameter to be able do that IMO.
That involves making new locking rings too.

I'll bet they spend 4 out of the 5 days lining your diff housing up on a milling machine

Even more important: Did you take pictures?

The housing (diff cover) was untouched. All they did was measure the cap that did no blow up and made a replica that is thicker and out of a metal that has the abilioty to bend a bit beforte it breaks, unlike cast that is used in the stock part.
Yes I took pictures, but since I am not working at the moment (till April) I will have to find a place to post.
The biggest challange was for them to match the thread, we re-used the stock bearings. Keep in mind that the stock part is threaded first, than cut into 2 pieces. They had to create a new bearing cap and match the thread. 2 days of calculation were involved, so far it holds up (420whp and Exedy Hyper Single)

I need to know for a friend of mine, are the Kia gears manual or automatic????

Quick Reply: Junkyard Special Kia 4.77 ring & pinion install