S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

journals and cam seats are messed up

Old 05-02-2011, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default journals and cam seats are messed up

So my oil filter relocation kit lines was swapped and i guess from the low oil pressure the tct didn't give tension to the chain and the chain skipped and the timing was off by 7 teeth.
The journals and the cam towers or cam seats (w/e they're called where the cams sit on) were pretty scored up. Called inline pro and they said they had an extra set of the journals for 175 and i found another member selling the cam towers or seats for 100. So i shopped around for another head because after all that trouble with replacing just those parts i kinda figured the valves might also be bent. (the BOV wasn't closing and was constantly open.) I'm guessing even though the valves didn't look bent it was bent ....

So anyways I got another head for 150 bucks from my buddy that used to own a shop and it came out of an ap1 with 25k miles on it. Long story short the kid that owned the s2000 went boost and had his block sleeved and ended up not having any money to pay for the job so my buddy ended up with a spare dalton sleeved block and stock head.

So is there is metal shavings all around and in the head... What i was going to do was take the oil pump off, and take parts of the motor apart while it was still in the car to clean out the metal shavings... Do i have to take the crank, rods, pistons, out in order to get all the metal out or do you think it'll be good enough just taking the pan off, and cleaning out the oil pump screen, etc.

Also should i get a new head gasket or can i just reuse the stock one if there isn't any heat spots and worn areas... i already got arp head studs laying around from my buddy's shop from the same kid that he gave me so i'll just end up using those instead of reusing my stock head studs....

So tear down the motor and reassemble or just try to clean it out as best as possible??
Old 05-03-2011, 01:39 AM

If it was me I would tear it down.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:17 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Full tear down and flush like when you do a rebuild. There are brushes made to clean the oil passages out.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:18 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

I would not use the arp head studs. Use stock bolts.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:19 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

You can never reuse a head gasket.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:00 AM

Okay so I'm going to buy a head gasket today
Old 05-10-2011, 09:17 PM

so a couple of days ago i took the pan off and holy @*$# there was a lot of little metal shavings... more like metal dust but copper colored ones and silver ones from the journals... im tearing down the motor later this week after i get my hands on a engine hoist. I know that i didn't spin a bearing so billman you think i'll need to buy a new crank??? or do you think my crank will be fine? i hope all i'll need is a head gasket, bearings, gaskets, and new head studs lol... kinda want my s back on the road sooon