S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

JIS screws

Old 12-14-2022, 04:12 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts
Default JIS screws

I learned today that all the screws on this car are JIS screws, and not Phillip's head screws, using a Phillip's head screwdriver is wrong/not ideal, you need to use a JIS screwdriver. This will prevent the screwdriver from camming out of the slot.
Old 12-14-2022, 06:18 AM

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
I learned today that all the screws on this car are JIS screws, and not Phillip's head screws, using a Phillip's head screwdriver is wrong/not ideal, you need to use a JIS screwdriver. This will prevent the screwdriver from camming out of the slot.
That goes with most modern japanese cars. You will find a good JIS screwdriver even tends to work better in regular phillips screws. The one below is very nice, and even though you cannot tell it from holding it, it also works as an impact screwdriver. I have one and use the hell out of it. Actually have not tried using it as an impact screwdriver yet as I have other better ones for that. But it is a great tool and holds in the screws a lot better.

VESSEL MEGADORA IMPACTA (+2x150(6") J) - Phillips Head Screwdrivers - Amazon.com VESSEL MEGADORA IMPACTA (+2x150(6") J) - Phillips Head Screwdrivers - Amazon.com
The following users liked this post:
Slowcrash_101 (12-14-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 07:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there very many JIS screws on the S2000 that would typically require high torque? The only ones I can think of off the top of my head would be the brake rotor screws.

You definitely have me looking for a set though, because JIS works in Phillips as well, and the screws don't fall off the tip of the driver. Probably this set:

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-14-2022, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by engifineer
That goes with most modern japanese cars. You will find a good JIS screwdriver even tends to work better in regular phillips screws. The one below is very nice, and even though you cannot tell it from holding it, it also works as an impact screwdriver. I have one and use the hell out of it. Actually have not tried using it as an impact screwdriver yet as I have other better ones for that. But it is a great tool and holds in the screws a lot better.

VESSEL MEGADORA IMPACTA (+2x150(6") J) - Phillips Head Screwdrivers - Amazon.com
I bought this, and the #3 version . Should hold me over until the full set goes on sale, or perhaps permanently.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Branrr
Are there very many JIS screws on the S2000 that would typically require high torque? The only ones I can think of off the top of my head would be the brake rotor screws.

You definitely have me looking for a set though, because JIS works in Phillips as well, and the screws don't fall off the tip of the driver. Probably this set:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...QG0QTZGU&psc=1
You can typically get by with a regular screwdriver on most because as you say, most are not high tq. But also they just work better in all phillips screws in my experience so I always reach for the JIS first.

For rotor screws I use one of these as they work better and have larger tips that come with them.
CRAFTSMAN Hand Impact Driver, 3/8-Inch Set (CMMT14104) - - Amazon.com CRAFTSMAN Hand Impact Driver, 3/8-Inch Set (CMMT14104) - - Amazon.com

Well worth having one of those around. I have actually never had issues with the rotor screws in my s2k (and a couple of years ago went Karcepts hubs so do not have the screws in now) but have on other cars and that tool takes them right out every time for me.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:43 AM

There's actually a video on youtube of a guy who uses both a hammer impact Phillips and a hammer impact JIS on stuck Honda rotor screws, and the Phillips got it off but chewed up the screw:

That said, if yours have already been off, and you use anti-seize, you'd probably never have a problem using Phillips. However Vessel does make a JIS hammer impact driver and it's pretty affordable:

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-14-2022, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Branrr
There's actually a video on youtube of a guy who uses both a hammer impact Phillips and a hammer impact JIS on stuck Honda rotor screws, and the Phillips got it off but chewed up the screw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adpF7j4pQN8&t=18s

That said, if yours have already been off, and you use anti-seize, you'd probably never have a problem using Phillips. However Vessel does make a JIS hammer impact driver and it's pretty affordable:

https://www.amazon.com/Vessel-125943...cx_mr_hp_atf_m
The vessel I listed is an impact one. But it does not move like the Craftsman one does. I think you are correct in that they sell ones that work more like that Craftsman one. The first time I took mine out, I just went right to the impact driver (Craftsman one) to avoid issues should they be stuck. It left the screw in perfect condition. But, mine may have not been stuck as much as some. Previous owner was an autocrosser and other than having the rust issue on one quarter panel lip (being fixed now) has pretty much no rust or corrosion on it underneath. I know some have said they broke the screws before getting them out so some can be a biatch!
Old 12-14-2022, 09:31 AM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

Simple solution for down the road: don't use the rotor screws. They really serve no purpose other than to keep the rotor from falling off on the assembly line.

As for JIS "+" drivers, It's all about the fit, baby.

It's the Fit
Old 12-14-2022, 09:44 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

This tool is magnificent for rotor screws.

I've known this JIS thing for years. Maybe I never mentioned it.

All the bolts on the car are JIS small wrench 10.9. So the screws being JIS makes complete sense.
The following users liked this post:
ATOice (04-20-2023)
Old 12-14-2022, 09:45 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt
Simple solution for down the road: don't use the rotor screws. They really serve no purpose other than to keep the rotor from falling off on the assembly line.
Then why do they sell rotor screws in part catalogs and why does Honda stock them at dealers?

Quick Reply: JIS screws