S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Jiffy Lube Swag?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jiffy Lube Swag?

sup s2ki fam,

Went to jiffy lube today and they aaid based upon my mileage I need a "fuel system cleaning service". Told them I used the additives that go in the gas tank, but they said this is "way better". Is this something i could d.i.y. or am I being Jipped? It's a $30+ service. Thanks in advance! peace
Old 05-23-2012, 08:51 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Stay out of Jiffy lube! Stay with tier one gasoline and you will be fine, their additive packages are sufficient for our cars.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt trust Jiffy Lube even to refill my windshield washer. I would use Google and Youtube more often if I were you
Old 05-23-2012, 10:31 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

If you WANT your car to turn into a poor running mess, use ANY sevice offered by JIFFY LUBE.

Their OPINION on what your car needs (which they try to sell to all makes and models...case in point it make no sense) is based on nothing but gullible people and what they will accept. Don't be one of them.

They don't tell you this based on 30 years of experience with driveability diagnostics. They are told to tell you this by their boss.

Make sense now?

You can find out right here on s2ki many things an s2k needs or will need. They can not name one. And you can bet "fuel system" service has never been offered to any of my customers, because THEY dont need it. Neither do you
Old 05-23-2012, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billman250
If you WANT your car to turn into a poor running mess, use ANY sevice offered by JIFFY LUBE.

Their OPINION on what your car needs (which they try to sell to all makes and models...case in point it make no sense) is based on nothing but gullible people and what they will accept. Don't be one of them.

They don't tell you this based on 30 years of experience with driveability diagnostics. They are told to tell you this by their boss.

Make sense now?

You can find out right here on s2ki many things an s2k needs or will need. They can not name one. And you can bet "fuel system" service has never been offered to any of my customers, because THEY dont need it. Neither do you
Many of the guys working at these places are only there because Jiffy Lube called back before McDonalds. As such, equate such offers with that extra $0.50 to super-size or add a side of fries.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by blasphemy101
Many of the guys working at these places are only there because Jiffy Lube called back before McDonalds. As such, equate such offers with that extra $0.50 to super-size or add a side of fries.

Funny...and true.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:41 AM

Jiffy lube is for those that work at McDonalds and woke up late
Old 05-23-2012, 10:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by i_luv_s2k
sup s2ki fam,

Went to jiffy lube today and they aaid based upon my mileage I need a "fuel system cleaning service". Told them I used the additives that go in the gas tank, but they said this is "way better". Is this something i could d.i.y. or am I being Jipped? It's a $30+ service. Thanks in advance! peace
It seems like you've gotten your answer, but don't forget there are tons of people on this site who are willing to answer literally any question about your car. If for an instant you have any questions regarding the S2000, come here first
Old 05-23-2012, 11:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The very people who go to places like Iffy Lube, are the very one's who shouldn't. We all need an amount of computer literacy these days, same goes for automotive literacy. At the very least, know what the owner's manual recommends as a baseline. Forums, all forums, are invaluable if taken with healthy skepticism.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:22 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The Jiffy Lube 3-step Fuel System Cleaning Service is no more than 3 products they use to clean the throttle body (a spray), intake (a spray) and a fuel additive (liquid).
(just go to jiffylube.com and see for yourself)

I'll bet most reading on this site have used at least 1 of the 3 at some point - or still are.
A fair amount of people have used 2 of the 3.
They would never admit it now, after reading what was posted in this thread.

I've used an octane booster at some point, after being forced to use RON 95 fuel - there was no other available.
Never noticed anything.
But I did notice the difference between Shell V-power RON 97 ans BP Ultimate RON 98.

It is a "Fuel System Service" a bad thing?
Well.. if you have used low quality fuel for a long period it may actually do something.
If Jiffy Lube also sells fuel ( I donno, we don'thave this here) you can put them in a catch-22 situation by saying you alway use their fuel so why a service?
Many people posted about using Seafoam here, with results.
There was a very recent post about clean intake valves, was this because of the fuel additive?
If you are sure that you never used bad fuel - or it is long enough ago - then you are right: the additives in the fuel allready do the job.

No Fuel System Cleaning will ever replace basic maintenance, like clean air filter, new spark plugs.

Do not ever let them - or anyone - clean the fuel filter - it is in the tank and eventhough it may be in a service list you do not change it out.
Unless you really really REALLY have to.

Quick Reply: Jiffy Lube Swag?