S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

JIC coilovers do need to be preloaded

Old 04-25-2003, 01:43 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

That is a good price

Originally posted by whiteGoKart39
let me put it in this way.
$1600 for a set of brand new JIC is that good or normal?
Old 04-25-2003, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just finished readjusting my jic coilovers. 1 inch preload front 3/4" rear seams to locate dampers mid stroke with the standard springs. ride height is still adjustable on the fronts, but limited to about 3/4" on the rear.disappointingthat..now that i'm not riding around on bumpstops i have a very solid feel. the damper adjuster actually works too
Old 04-25-2003, 05:35 PM

Just let you guys know that im trying to host a groupbuy on the JIC Coilovers, i need 6 people the price will be 1600$shipped. shipping takes about 5-7 days
please pm me if there is any interests
Old 04-25-2003, 06:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask again after autocross season. I'm still shopping, plus I promised myself I'd wait until I've autocrossed one season (stock) before doing any modifications. Coilovers will definitely be my first mod, as they were the most rewarding upgrade that I made to my Prelude.
However, since my S2000 will be mostly dedicated to the track, I will probably go with something stiffer than the standard JIC setup. I'll have to take some test spins to see.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys, sounds like R&D work going on here for sure, good luck. Just for reference the TEIN RA's have a one-piece damper body and I measured 1.6" front and 1.5" rear damper travel with a .9" drop front and 1" rear.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:33 PM

I just added a 1/2" of pre-loada all the way around, as far as I can tell I am in mid stroke. I just took that car to the worst residential streets that would normally hit a bump and her BOOM... not now, the suspension seems to work like it is designed to.

Solo II school is tomorrow and the 2nd event of the year is on Sunday.

I can already tell a HUGE difference.

Much appreciation to all that have contributed to these findings. I don't feel like I wasted $1400.00.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:32 AM

just installed my stock tire and wheels and measured from the chassis points listed in the helms manual instead of the wheelwell and i actually can get 1.5 " drop in the rear. still not as much as advertised but acceptable. i think jic really has a good product here for the price,but they've shot themselves in the foot with the Japanese instructions and lack of technical support. ithink any owner to post on this thread has more working knowledge of this product.
Old 04-26-2003, 02:46 PM

I went to JIC yesterday and went over things... They cut 5mm of excess threads off that bracket as I had described earlier and that brought the car down a corresponding 5 mm. There was 3 mm of height adjustment left in the lower collar adjustment as well, so we were able to bring the rear down a total of 8 mm and then raise the spring perch a corresponding 8 mm (giving me 8 mm of rear suspension travel).

I must say the car drives and handles beautifully. I took it for a mountain drive this morning and I have no complaints. With the 12K springs, 8mm of travel on the rear seems to actually be enough. We did end up leaving the helper springs in the rear, they're just preloaded quite a bit.

Basically, Zeal/JIC did take care of me and now that everything is sorted out, the suspension is awesome.

Also, in response to the issues about not being able to lower the rear end enough, there is some talk of an all new one-piece lower rear bracket to solve that issue. But if that does materialize, it won't be for a few months. If any of you want to remind me later this year, maybe I can arrange a group buy for people that already have the old bracket design and want to switch to the revised design.
Old 04-26-2003, 05:22 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Great new Rev!
How much travel at the wheel does the 8mm at the shock translate into?
Old 04-26-2003, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by RT
Great new Rev!
How much travel at the wheel does the 8mm at the shock translate into?
I dunno... Probably 9 mm :-/ With 12 k springs, it really doesn't need much travel though... I drove a lot of miles today and I only felt it hit the bump stops maybe once or twice on some REALLY rough roads. I'd prefer if it had another 5 mm of travel just for those kinds of situations, but 8 mm is basically enough.

Quick Reply: JIC coilovers do need to be preloaded