S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

JIC coilovers do need to be preloaded

Old 05-16-2003, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JIC USA
[B]

This is exactly why I said it EFFECTIVELY changes the spring rate. I am not saying it actually changes the rate of the spring.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fperra
[B]

Wrong again. Once the weight of the car is applied to the spring, the preload is essentially removed. The purpose of the preload is actually to raise the car to center the shock piston, thereby, centering it's travel.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Clovis
[B]Kevin's comment about voiding the warranty by preloading more than .25" (causing the damper to top out) got me thinking.

Question:
Old 05-16-2003, 06:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Clovis

In one day!?
Well, in the hopes that he's telling the truth, I wonder what spring rates they decided to go with. As we've estimated, they'd probably have to go with 12+ kg/mm springs in order to "not require preload". I wonder what that's going to do for his customers that prefer "soft" springs. I'm guessing that the low spring rates specified for this kit do draw a lot of customers who are afraid that the Buddy Clubs & Teins of the world are going to be too harsh. How many JIC owners here were drawn to these coilovers because of their low spring rates? Quite a few, I'd bet.

By the way, I just noticed that he said that "We are already shipping these with stiffer springs".... could that be word-play? Maybe he just means that, ... for customers that request stiffer springs (e.g., The Rev): "We are already shipping these with stiffer springs".

Anyway... hopefully everything will work out in the end.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:56 PM

gernby, you really opened up a can of worms with this one. Well worth the while though; a lot of food for thought.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:33 PM

It seems as though things have really gotten out of hand here. While it started it started out as an informative thread about a particular set up, it has turned into an ugly battle that has escalated to undeserved levels.

First and foremost, we are here to help each other, name calling and degrading someone's integrity is absolutely uncalled for. There is no reason to go there. If you have personal qualms with someone, handle it elsewhere. Remember, fighting on the internet is like the special Olympics, even if you win, you're still retarded.

I will be the first to admit that I have absolutely no technical no how whatsoever when it comes to suspension. All these terms and phrases you guys have used have all been very educational to me. Some of this thread is really, really good reading. I actually have walked away with a lot.

There is something though that I would like to make clear. My car was the first car in the US set up with JIC coil overs. They were installed and tuned by the men themselves. This was well over 6 months ago. After many track days and over 10k miles of driving, I can tell you that I am still thrilled by the way my car rides and handles. It has been a better experience then I ever could have imagined. My car rides better than stock on the street and stiff enough to get around the track comfortably. Is it a full track set up. No. Is it stiff enough to give me enough confidence to speed through the track comfortably, yes.

One last thing I would like to throw in here is that I have never heard any weird noises or bangs from my suspension. I don't know if its because my car is not as low as many of yours, but I don't think I could go any lower without ripping my front end off. Again, I repeat that I have no clue how my set up was done because I did not do it myself, but I know that I have put the car through its paces and experienced no ill effects as many of you have mentioned you have. I asked if my car had been set up with any "preload" and they said no. Gernby, if its working for you and you feel you have found your happy medium, stick with it. For you and the rest of the guys I sold systems to, if there are any problems you have in the future, I will warranty your parts myself. I am that confident in their product.

Sherwin
Old 05-16-2003, 10:42 PM

docofmind,

30 miles an hour in a residential neighborhood and a small crease in the road and boom.... There's not a problem here? Get it together there is something wrong.

How much R&D was put into this system before it went out to the street? Your coil overs were the first one, was it the beefed up ringer version or the same one that we all have?

__________________________________________________ _
One thing many of you after market parts suppliers need to learn is the quality of listening skills. You are not listening, we have a product that has a problem. It makes me wonder what kind of people we are relying on when we spend thousands of hard earned money on the products that you recommend, advertise and sell.
__________________________________________________ __
The problem that I have is that, no one is being pro-active towards a solution. JIC USA is not pro-active and if JIC Japan could read this thread, it would be dishonorable representation of the their engineering and they would most likely fire him from whatever job function and affiliation with the company that he currently has.

As someone that manages a multi-million dollar division of a company I would fire him and hire a solution maker, an innovator, not a problem esculator.

problem: find a solution.

There is problem that exist and no one that is responsible wants the responsibility.

1 current customer is not having an issue out of dozens.... This is too overwhelming to me.

docofmind,

this forum is to express issues and address problem to keep other's from falling into the same situation. If you want we can start a new thread that says don't buy JIC coil overs..... with a caution sign.

I just purchased a "full titanium" single outlet exhaust made by JIC, well over 1K and it makes me wonder if I need to get the materials checked out to make sure it is titanium alloy. These are the types of questions others will be asking when they start looking for SOLID performance parts.

I am happy with the 1" pre-load. Ride confidence has increased when I go over small seperations in city streets at 30 mph.

As far as warranty, screw it! It sounds like if I had an issue and answered a "warranty" question wrong then it would be voided anyway. I could imagine, did you fart in the car while taking a right hand sweeper at 30 mph, yes, your warranty is voided, sorry. This is how Mickey Mouse the approach has been from JIC USA.

I will take my chances.

I am through with my thoughts and i have used the forum the way I felt neccessary. And if you don't like it, delete it!
Old 05-17-2003, 03:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by docofmind
[B] My car was the first car in the US set up with JIC coil overs.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:53 AM

Whatever happened to necessity being the mother of invention?

Isn't racing about trying to figure out your own solutions?

It's clear that JiC suspension is CAPABLE of working in our cars. So it must have something to do with the installation, no?

I got my JiC's installed a long time ago and I have to tell you, for being a mass produced coilover, the system works very well. What's more is that the guys from JiC have a lot of collective racing experience to draw from and it would be a shame if the people from this board would tarnish their reputation.

Like doc said, there is no reason for bashing on this board. We all have pretty much the same goal and that is to make our cars faster and handle better.
Old 05-17-2003, 09:17 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

what?

Quick Reply: JIC coilovers do need to be preloaded