S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

JIC coilovers do need to be preloaded

Old 05-15-2003, 03:49 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

That's it, I am pissed.

I will dump these dampers in the trash and go buy anything else Konis, Buddy Club whatever it does not matter.

You just trashed JIC products forever in my book.

My car was bottoming on the bumpstops over the smallest bumps with out preload/

I think people like Carrol Smith (Tune to win, engineer to Win etc) know a bit more about race cars and setting them up that you do they all say riding on the bump rubbers is a absolute no no.

..... DWEEB
Old 05-15-2003, 03:55 PM

Another thing,

When riding on the bumpstops at over 80 the car would wallow and bounce around, now with the preload its absolutely smooth and stable

So again you are WRONG..

Now at static ride height my car sits in middle of the damper travel, tell me why that is wrong...??

So pissed I can't type very well

George
Old 05-15-2003, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by JIC USA

2. Our springs are linear. Luis, gernby was indeed correct.
I never said the JIC springs were not linear. I wouldn't have a clue about the JIC springs, and let me tell you, it is not something I'm about to find out. Such a pity people can't read. I said the Honda OEM springs appear to have end coils that are closer together than the rest of the coils. See above.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RT
[B] ... You think a bump @ 100 km/hr is going to launch a car to full droop?
Old 05-15-2003, 04:26 PM

I am not wrong about preload. I will go out on a dangerous ledge here and say that after reading your "R&D" discussions that I feel that we are shipping these with springs that are way too soft. Our dampers should not rest at 50% travel with no preload. I think 10% at most. When you up the preload, you are effectively raising the spring rates. Unfortunately, it also tops out the dampers upon heavy rebound. What this means for you guys is that you need stiffer springs, not preload.

Yas put 1" of preload on a 50mm helper spring. You have to use preload on a helper spring to properly limit sag according to the stroke of the damper. As soon as the car rests on the ground, the helper is completely compressed effectively giving NO preload on the main spring. I am trying really hard not to point fingers and call names here. I have typed some stuff here and walked away only to return and tone down my posts.

Reverend: Our coilovers are designed to use no preload. I believe that the springs are so soft on the car that they are sagging too much, which is causing the car to ride on the bump stops.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn, this is getting interesting!

I think it is really funny that adding preload to improve damper travel will void the warranty, but riding on the bump stops WON'T! I bottomed out my dampers REALLY BIG TIME several times the 1st freakin' day when I installed them AS INSTRUCTED. The only times my dampers have been fully extended since then has been when I jacked it up.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:28 PM

... Preloading the springs that much will cause topping out of the dampers and quickly destroy them.
Ah! Ah! here is a man that agrees with me. I was feeling lonely
Old 05-15-2003, 04:37 PM

Did any one else pick up on the disparity between Kevin's two arguments???

Argument 1: The coilovers come with 7/8 kg/mm springs because most users are going to just use these on the street and aren't really interested in performance. [I don't exactly know why anyone would spend nearly $2000 on coilovers if they weren't interested in performance, but the only reason I can think of would be to lower the car so it will look cool.]

Argument 2: You shouldn't lower your car more than a few mm - that's bad and would only serve aesthetic purposes, which are dumb (so there goes that part of argument 1). Also, riding on the bumpstops may make the car uncomfortable, but it's a good thing for performance.

Hmmm - that's strange, I thought they came with 7/8 kg/mm springs because people don't want to compromise ride quality for better performance. And I thought most people aren't interested in performance, they just want to lower their car - but then you say it's bad to lower the car.

I assure you that with 12 k springs, the car not only rides MUCH better than a car with 7/8 k springs riding on the bump stops, but it also handles better and is safer.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:42 PM

I believe that the springs are so soft on the car that they are sagging too much, which is causing the car to ride on the bump stops.
That's exactly everyone's point here. You need to either use a shock with longer stroke or use stiffer springs. But given the hardware that you sell the kit with (which should be usable without additional expenditure), people HAVE TO preload the spring to keep it off the bump stops. It's not that they want lots of preload, it's that they have no other choice unless they want to sit on the bump rubber. Personally, I was pretty disappointed that after I blew more money than I should have buying these coilovers, I still had to spend another $340 on springs before there was actually a performance gain. With the 7/8 kg/mm springs, the car seemed to handle significantly worse than it did with stock shocks and HKS springs. It's great now - but I had to spend extra money to get it that way.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:45 PM

If you think the product you are selling is not correct how are you going to fix it?

You can start by sending all us current JIC owners with the softer springs a set of the right springs at no cost, considering all the free R&D that was performed here for you.

I won't even ask for the money I paid to have my car corner weighted and aligned

George

I am not wrong about preload. I will go out on a dangerous ledge here and say that after reading your "R&D" discussions that I feel that we are shipping these with springs that are way too soft. Our dampers should not rest at 50% travel with no preload. I think 10% at most. When you up the preload, you are effectively raising the spring rates. Unfortunately, it also tops out the dampers upon heavy rebound. What this means for you guys is that you need stiffer springs, not preload.

Yas put 1" of preload on a 50mm helper spring. You have to use preload on a helper spring to properly limit sag according to the stroke of the damper. As soon as the car rests on the ground, the helper is completely compressed effectively giving NO preload on the main spring. I am trying really hard not to point fingers and call names here. I have typed some stuff here and walked away only to return and tone down my posts.

Reverend: Our coilovers are designed to use no preload. I believe that the springs are so soft on the car that they are sagging too much, which is causing the car to ride on the bump stops.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:47 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B] ...

Quick Reply: JIC coilovers do need to be preloaded