S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

JIC coilovers do need to be preloaded

Old 05-15-2003, 07:57 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Luis, the whole premise revolves around the fact that the damper will not reach the ends of the stroke (the damping will keep it off the ends) for a properly set up system. The JIC complaint here is that the users are hitting the bump stops in compression so they are forced to preload the damper to get them further up in the stroke ....... they are fighting the bottoming in compression and you're assuming they're going to go to full droop over a bump? Do you realize how high the car has to be off the ground to achieve full droop of the suspension? You think a bump @ 100 km/hr is going to launch a car to full droop? Damping baby! They got some sh!t shocks if that happens and this would all be a moot point
Hitting the end of travel is a pretty significant event .... it's not just something someone would "perceive" it's something you should "feel". Anyone "feeling" that?
Old 05-15-2003, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RT
[B]Hitting the end of travel is a pretty significant event .... it's not just something someone would "perceive" it's something you should "feel".
Old 05-15-2003, 08:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Rev, will you please keep us up to date on the results? I have noticed that when I jump the Brazos River, I may be experiencing this problem too.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:15 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

ROFLMFAO
Old 05-15-2003, 02:49 PM

Ok, time to clear some stuff up.
1. I am not a dweeb.
2. Our springs are linear. Luis, gernby was indeed correct.
3. Our website states .5 to 3" drop DEPENDING on configuration. Maybe this is worded bad and should be changed depending on application. Sorry for the confusion.
4. The FLTA2s are street coilovers. They come with "soft" springs because 99% of the people buying them will never take them on a track and would complain about the ride quality, if they were stiffer. If you guys are having to add preload (never reccomended) then you should have purchased the FLTA2-RS. These are FLTA2s custom tuned to the individual's needs. Big tracks, little tracks, mountain roads, sore butts.... whatever, we can build them. For those that are adding preload, you need stiffer springs.... with no preload.
5. For those that complain that you can not go low enough: Don't! Lowering an S2000 much more than 1.5"s seriously changes the suspension geometry that Honda spent big money developing. The car is pretty much slammed from the factory. Any more is just fashion and does nothing for performance.
6. Bump stops: The Japanese version uses a softer 4" long bump stop. We chose a 2" bump stop that was slightly firmer because we knew Americans would question riding on the bump stops.
7. Supermodels don't cook. Translation: Great handling cars don't feel good on the way to work. Cars that feel good on the way to work don't handle as well.
JIC is the only Japanese suspension manufacturer willing to custom tune suspension for the individual. We will do whatever it takes to make you guys happy. Just let us know.
Thanks,
Kevin
Old 05-15-2003, 02:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by JIC USA
.. If you guys are having to add preload (never reccomended) then you should have purchased the FLTA2-RS. These are FLTA2s custom tuned to the individual's needs. Big tracks, little tracks, mountain roads, sore butts.... whatever, we can build them. For those that are adding preload, you need stiffer springs.... with no preload..
Sorry you are WRONG. Preload is not required for a stiffer ride, it is required to position the damper shaft so that there is some room on the compression stoke before hitting the bumpstops.

There are at least a half dozen people here that have experience with the FLTA2's on the S2000 and there is no debate.. preload is required to properly use the product.

I got bum advice from your shop and I suggest you get your facts straight before you jump out here and prove how little you know about what you are selling.
Old 05-15-2003, 03:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdelena
[B]

Sorry you are WRONG. Preload is not required for a stiffer ride, it is required to position the damper shaft so that there is some room on the compression stoke before hitting the bumpstops.
Old 05-15-2003, 03:36 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdelena
[B]

Old 05-15-2003, 03:37 PM

Furthermore, if you preload your springs beyond .25", you void your warranty. Preloading the springs that much will cause topping out of the dampers and quickly destroy them.
Old 05-15-2003, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by JIC USA
Furthermore, if you preload your springs beyond .25", you void your warranty. Preloading the springs that much will cause topping out of the dampers and quickly destroy them.
I let Yas (is that the right spelling?) set up my suspension and I think he put nearly an inch of preload on my rears (but I have helper springs in the back). You trying to tell me that people at your own shop voided the warranty on my coilovers?

Also - are you suggesting that people must either ride on the bumpstops or void their warranty? If someone takes your advice and rolls their car, you're going to have a nasty lawsuit on your hands. It's a lot easier to roll a car if you're riding on the bumpstops.

Quick Reply: JIC coilovers do need to be preloaded