S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

J's racing money down the drain....

Old 01-26-2007, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were the dynos the same? Were the weather conditions the same?

At any rate, I've always said it's not worth going "All-JDM" unless you want a show car. You have a very expensive 60mm exhaust that obviously won't gain nearly the power as any cheap 70mm. You also have a snorkel that can be bought for $75 on Ebay as an exact replica.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to own the J's stuff... just don't mistake build quality for proven gains....

I'm sure you could part out all of that stuff and get enough money for a comptech S/C, or a bore kit. Bolt-ons really are throwing money down the drain. I knew that before I even started buying mine...

Old 01-27-2007, 12:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch.

Why do people bother trying to squeeze HP out of a NA s2000 engine?
Old 01-27-2007, 03:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tuning isn't only about max HP - that's just for bragging rights.

OCMusicJunkie makes a valid point - unless the dyno runs were perfromed on the same device on the same day by the same operator, it is nearly useless to do comparisons, especially of maximum numbers.

I'll also ask for you to post your dyno plots so we can see if there were other gains throughout the curve. I've just done to upgrades to my Miata with the specific goal of improving mid-range torque to improve digging out of turns. If I get some top end HP, I'll consider that gravy.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-27-2007, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Novak,Jan 26 2007, 11:50 PM
My stock AP1 200 hp 138 TQ

J' racing intake
J's header
Berk test pipe
J's 60RS
Aem EMS/tune
6,100$ later= 212HP 140TQ
Talk about Bang for the buck....man o man I feal great!
Holy smokes!

You should part this stuff out and buy a S/C kit.

Keep the EMS, get some bigger injectors and a smaller pulley and make 350whp.

Then you will see some bang for your buck.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:14 AM

were the 2 runs done on the same dyno?
Old 01-27-2007, 05:41 AM

The J's intake is designed to make power at speed. You won't see max hp/tq on a dyno.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea i know i should have gone SC, but i have a pretty fast STI so i dont want to have another car that is FI. The AEM comes with a good base map, My friend was messing around with it on his dyno, but he is a suby,mistu tunner.
As dumb as it sounds I would like to keep going with it,keeping it all motor.
What can i do to crank more power out of it. cams?valve train? rods? i would love to rev to 10K if possable.
I'll post the dyno sheet in a few days.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Novak,Jan 27 2007, 07:11 AM
My friend was messing around with it on his dyno, but he is a suby,mistu tunner.
dood there's your problem...your wondering why you get 12hp...dood get a proper tune and you should make atleast 225whp with that setup.

the only thing i can't believe is that you spent 6 grand on parts...and you get your friend to do a cheapo tune who probably doesn't know anything about tuning an NA motor...most suburu's and mitsu's that get tuned are turbo....dood...you already spent 6 grand...cough up the 500 bucks to get a GOOD HONDA TUNER to tune your car. seriously this is the most retarded thing i've seen in a while..sorry but wondering why you only got 12 hp when someone who doesn't tune NA honda car's tuned the car..thats just being a f'in retard...no excuse bro...
Old 01-27-2007, 09:06 AM

There are many things that could have caused this outcome. To try to blame it on simply crappy parts, a crappy tune, or just a weak engine is all fine and dandy but has no proof. You're just taking a piss in the wind, you just don't know where it'll go.

We really need to see some specifics if we want to help him. It's possible that he has a problem with his car. We do need to see both dyno plots up. Along with that the conditions that they were done under, weather at the time. How soon were the dyno's done together? If you're looking at a lot of miles that might be something else.

Quick Reply: J's racing money down the drain....