S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

J's racing f22C

Old 02-14-2005, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Highrpmek' date='Feb 14 2005, 08:15 PM
Joe Alaniz might do great engine work, but I haven't seen any of his S2000's win any JGTC or SCCA or Time Attack races.
JGTC is in japan only. It stands for Japanese Grand Touring Championship

He has had several cars participating in SCCA events with his motors including wins at various tracks. There are a bunch of big name companies that run his engines.

Secondly, what exactly do you think wins a road race event? The motor? I think suspension and driver are a bit more important
Old 02-14-2005, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Understandable, but these companies, J's Racing, Spoon, ASM etc. have built motors for road racing, whereas ever company I see here(in the states) focuses on the strip. And in road racing, endurance and reliability in the drive train is much more important than in drag racing. The driver and suspension and tires more over are the most important factors, but the most stressed component at a road race would most likely be the drivetrain, errr... maybe the driver too!
Old 02-15-2005, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is, you guys are looking in the wrong places. Just because drag racing is popular and well covered here and road racing isn't doesn't mean there aren't a hell of a lot of good engine guys in the US. Joe Alaniz did the head on David Karner's S2000 for this year (bottom end must remain stock, so we blueprinted it). He built the whole motor last year. That car has been entered in 9 races now between last year and this. 7 wins, 2 second place finishes. No DNFs in races. 2 lap records in its class at ButtonWillow and Fontana, despite the fact that in our class the S2000s are heavier and more power restricted than the competition.

He also built a mega motor last year for testing which didn't see any race time (because it wouldn't have been class legal in Honda Challenge). 262 whp and 170 lbs-ft to the hubs on the Dynapack from 2 liters on stock cams, with a stock TB and stock intake manifold. Motor revved to 10,200 rpm without difficulty (although there was no point revving it past 9500 rpm thanks to stock cams).

When it comes to modifying production based Honda motors, I'll take the US guys over the JDM guys any day. Doesn't mean the JDM guys aren't good, but the US guys have been pushing the power on Hondas more heavily than the JDM guys have for quite some time. Call it market forces (Honda's aren't as popular over there) if you like. In any case, most good engine builders realize that with Honda stuff you're often best off keeping as much stock as possible and only replacing the obvious weak points - hence Spoon's approach.

I know the guys from Opak and I've met Mr. Ichishima from Spoon on several occasions. All great guys. Spoon puts together some very nice race cars (although the guys at Opak get serious props for their contributions to the Euro-R, the RSX and the Fit race cars because they did the final setup). But they don't really do much from an engine standpoint. I drove the Spoon RSX at Infineon and the engine was no stronger than a reflashed K20A2 with I/H/E here in the states. But the chassis was top notch (especially for a DC5). And you know who gets the most credit for the performance of those Spoon cars I mentioned? The guys at Opak, here in the US, who set them up, IMO of course.

So don't put someone on a pedestal unless you've examined all the options. The US guys are very, very good at what they do. And look for Karner's car in a Grand Am Cup race this year if we can get it classified in ST.

UL
Old 02-15-2005, 04:03 PM

I'd love to see Karner's car in GS for nothing else than to see it go against the 350Zs, but I know it won't happen as GA won't classify it in GS and I don't know if it would be competitive against the 350Zs in GS...but I'd still like to see it happen.

UL: the stock cams are good for 9500rpm?...that's weird.

If I had money, Joe would have my engine...but I'd have to beat him over the head with a 12:1CR piston first so he'll offer the race setup w/o the 14CR!
Old 02-15-2005, 04:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AJ PwR' date='Feb 11 2005, 07:33 PM
No offence ! We all worship JDM, that's why we bought an S2000.

A bunch of S2000 owners talking about power/dollar ratio.
If thats the case then (S2000 performance / dollar ratio), s2ks are overpriced I don't care anyways cuz I love the car so much
Old 02-15-2005, 05:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I disagree!

I love my S2000. It's by far the best car I've ever owned and there is nothing in the price range in Aus that even comes close. But to expand from there to "worship JDM" is just plain stupid.

I love great products. I detest bad products. The origin of the product has no bearing whatsoever on my choice.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:17 PM
Banned

No dyno as of yet on the J's motor. There was a guy with a Spoon crate motor from Opak Racing that dynoed 247 hp or so to the wheels. So it seems to me that you are paying for something. I doubt these companies would sell very many motors if they didn't make significantly more power than stock (as in the case of the Spoon motor, 50 more hp than stock).
I do have faith in Spoon and J's Racing motor. A result of 247 whp out of a Spoon crate engine with stock internals doesn't make too much sense to me
Old 02-16-2005, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by S2Fire' date='Feb 16 2005, 02:17 AM
I do have faith in Spoon and J's Racing motor. A result of 247 whp out of a Spoon crate engine with stock internals doesn't make too much sense to me
From what I've heard, the difference between the Spoon crate motor and the stock motor is a smoother acceleration across the band. Nothing that great for the price.

-Chris
Old 02-16-2005, 09:07 AM

I'm sorry, am I missing something about this price debate?

Admittedly I haven't kept up with the advances Alaniz is making, although its sounds like he's putting out very good work and power! What is bothering me is that you guys are comparing $11,000-13,000 crate motors with $7,000-9,000 motor build ups.

What I'm getting at is if you order a J's or a Spoon Crate. You get a NEW engine shipped to your door. Don't you have to provide Joe with your current engine and then he builds it?? (I'm assuming this by the down times listed on his site).

If thats the case doesn't purchasing a motor for 10K+ seem reasonable when put up against simply rebuilding your current block/head for just under $10K?

Also if anyone can point me to the dynos for one of these Alaniz race motors I'd appreciate it! I'd definitely like to take a look at them (hopefully there are dynos out there since everyone keeps knocking the JDM crate motor producers for claiming hp with no dynos )
Old 02-16-2005, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by VeilsideAP1' date='Feb 12 2005, 01:40 PM
...as for being a JDM Zealot, well, maybe I am... but it just follows the rationale that, personally, I wouldn't have strapped anything Japanese to my Saleen when I had it, just like I don't want to put anything american on my car now...
^^i feel that same way. Its all about what you prefer.

10-11k for a new motor, balanced, mods etc. Might take awhile to get it but you still have your old one.

7-9k for a motor buildup and my down time is weeks on end?

Someone justify that math for me but id go for a crate motor ANY DAY.

Not knocking that Alaniz guys work but if your gonna argue price, the above statement by 1AP12NV should shut everyone up.

Quick Reply: J's racing f22C