S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

j's racing exhaust melting bumper and rubbing under my passenger

Old 09-08-2011, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default j's racing exhaust melting bumper and rubbing under my passenger

I was able to fit a 70RR (I'm told only designed for the AP1) on my AP2. Love it. only issue now is that the tip is really close (I could probably fit a pencil in the gap, sorry didnt measure) to the plastic rear bumper and already showing signs of melting. A few simple solutions come to mind but I'd really like to know what you guys have done to address this before I start making the issue worse. I'm pretty good at that.

also. . .

since the angles are slightly different for the AP1, the section of pipe that goes straight back slightly rubs against the body of the car (right under my passenger's tailbone roughly with the seat all the way back). So far people have told me not to worry about it but i'm not sure how i feel about hot metal rubbbing against the car for a very long period of time/possibly forever. Do I need to make a bracket and "push" it over a little??

Sorry for the terrible grammar but I am writing this on my phone at the gym, long day.

Please and Thanks!
Old 09-08-2011, 04:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use the triangle rubber thing sideways on the furthest back hanger on the exhaust.

As for the metal touching, it's gonna make the car vibrate like a mofo.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:00 PM

I think mine are an oval shape rather than a triangle but I will look tomorrow. And yea I thought I felt some vibration, nothing crazy. I shall attach an additional hangar. . .

any other ideas?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:02 PM

I think mine are an oval shape rather than a triangle but I will look tomorrow. And yea I thought I felt some vibration, nothing crazy. I shall attach an additional hangar. . .

any other ideas?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can't make the vibration go away without having the exhaust bent professionally.

Use the "oval" hangers for the middle and the front of the cannister, and use the long edge of the triangle for the back of the cannister.

You have an AP2, so you should have 3 ovals and 2 triangles. If you use the 3 ovals, then you'll melt/burn your bumper. I found out the hard way.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:57 AM

I see, you meant to use the triangles from stock exhaust; I will give that a shot, I kinda have it solved already and I found I dont have much room to play with anyway since the canister sits pretty close to the other side of the opening in the bumper. I guess it's just one of the consequences of sticking a huge angled exhaust under there.

My co-workers also suggested bending, but I'd really like to keep the stock shape. I'll be taking it to my friends shop this afternoon so he could inspect my work and hopefully help me out with the rubbing issue.

Aside from vibrating, which it dont feel. . . yet, what would be the consequeences of leaving it rubbing as it sits now? Will the heat/vibration eventually cause regrettable issues?

psychoazn, thanks for your help so far