S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

jacking jack stands frame advice

Old 02-22-2007, 03:16 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 02-22-2007, 03:42 PM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

The front can be decieving. It will look like two jack points, the REAR is the correct one as stated.

I would not recommend putting one single jackstand directly on the frame, it will bend/crush a little. Use them in pairs if you must use the framerails for stands.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While on the topic, is there a height limit when jacking the car up on one side.

For example, I jacked up the drivers side front jack point and I think I went to high. I heard a big creak noise on the right front tire area and I hurried lowered the car back down.

Did I cause any damaged to the suspension?

TIA
Old 02-22-2007, 03:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brunodkid99,Feb 22 2007, 04:48 PM
While on the topic, is there a height limit when jacking the car up on one side.

For example, I jacked up the drivers side front jack point and I think I went to high. I heard a big creak noise on the right front tire area and I hurried lowered the car back down.

Did I cause any damaged to the suspension?
Extremely unlikely that you damaged anything.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:21 PM

Lemme guess...you were jacking the front, and you used the front of the two APPARENT jack points.

The front one is part of the unibody and will crush bigtime.

The one just behind it is the jack point.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by idriveadelsol,Feb 22 2007, 11:30 AM
Just to clarify, only one of the circled points in the pics is the jack point. The one towards the rear of the car.

Not sure why you have two shown for the back, there's only one.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:29 PM

You were not on the center of the jack point.

If you were on center when you started, then the jack slid. As long as the ebrake is on, and you jack one side only, and you're level, you won't have a problem.

Did you use the OEM jack or something else?
Old 02-22-2007, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250,Feb 22 2007, 06:21 PM
Lemme guess...you were jacking the front, and you used the front of the two APPARENT jack points.

The front one is part of the unibody and will crush bigtime.

The one just behind it is the jack point.
I'm not saying you're wrong... But i jacked up the vehicle from what you stated was the "apparent" jacking tab (front tab, front) and placed a jackstand on the correct jacking tab (in the front, but rear one). It hasn't bent and retained it's shape...

I need some clarification on this "front tab"... It's almost as thick and feels the same as the correct jacking point... From what i understand, the frame OR unibody is the main structural piece of the vehicle. When you use the word unibody... what do you mean? I'm thinking you meant it's just not the correct tab for holding the weight of the vehicle and the tab will break/bend, but ultimately, nothing will happen to the chassis correct? The correct tabs (in green) and the jacking point at the front of the vehicle are jacking points along the unibody OR frame also... Btw, thanks for the info.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:44 AM

You got lucky, that point is not made to support weight.

I've got 10+ s2ks that have used this point and crushed it upwards enough to show on the fender.

Get under the car and have a closer look. You can see the dispersion posts (reinforcement) in the rear one. AND it's thicker.

I don't understand what needs clarification. The front/front is not correct and that's it.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250,Feb 23 2007, 06:44 AM
You got lucky, that point is not made to support weight.

I've got 10+ s2ks that have used this point and crushed it upwards enough to show on the fender.

Get under the car and have a closer look. You can see the dispersion posts (reinforcement) in the rear one. AND it's thicker.

I don't understand what needs clarification. The front/front is not correct and that's it.
This is good advice Billman, and thank you for the clarification. Maybe this point needs to be made in the FAQ at the top of the forum. I only say this because there is a picture from the DIY oil change link which shows the "incorrect" way to jack the car.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70348

My solution is to use a small jack to lift the side using the rearmost front jack point, then put my big floor jack under the central jack point under the engine. Once I get the car high enough with the big jack, I put jack stands under each side of the car.

Quick Reply: jacking jack stands frame advice