S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Jack stand support points on frame rail?

Old 12-17-2007, 01:48 PM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Personally, I use these jacking points:

But to get my jack under the front, I have to drive my car up on boards to get enough clearance to do this. I put jack stands under the control arms before I crawl under the car.

If you want to jack the car up from the side, here's what the shop manual says:

When I do this, I usually put a folded towel on top of the jack to prevent any pressure points or scratches.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

From the varied responces on this thread, it depends on who you listen to.

IMO yes, but I would try to spread out the stands as much as possible for extra stability. That is one of the reasons I use the tubular sub-frame of the rear section. As for the front, look at the frame rail itself. At the front you'll see a curved black plastic cover which is fastened with a clip. Just behind that (towards the back of the car) you'll see the welded overlap of the rail. If you are at all worried about the structural strength of the rail, use the jackstand right beneath that overlapped section.

Otherwise you are good to go. Be sure to use the reinforced tabs for your jack when you lower it back down.

-Hockey
Old 12-17-2007, 01:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slalom44,Dec 17 2007, 02:48 PM
.......If you want to jack the car up from the side, here's what the shop manual says:

When I do this, I usually put a folded towel on top of the jack to prevent any pressure points or scratches.
Notice how the diagram doesn't talk about jackstand placement? Don't they advocate stands?
Old 12-17-2007, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer to put the jack stands under the points where one would use the jack from the trunk: I find that putting the stands under the perimeter of the car gives me more room underneath. It is also very stable.

But I don't know how I'd do it if I didn't have a floor jack. If you're a car enthusiast and you have a garage, just buy a good one. (Mine is older than many of the members on this board; it was well-worn when I got it 20+ years ago.) You'll buy one eventually: why do without for a few more years.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

notice the diagram out of the manual - the lifting block (as well as the supplied jack) have slots to receive the tabs on the rocker panels.

I would feel alot better if my jack stands had a bearing pad of similar type.

But, I guess it is OK to support the car from the perimeter tabs as many of the pics on this board show and no one has stated that they have had the tabs bend over from doing so.

I just find it hard to believe that there is some question as to the strength of the main rails running under the car. But, so be it.

Next time I will support from the perimeter and see what happens.