S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Issues shown after a track day: Vibrations and notchy gear change. Help!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues shown after a track day: Vibrations and notchy gear change. Help!

Hi all. I was at my first track day yesterday in the S200 and had loads of fun. But a couple of issues showed up that has me concerned..

First of all, when powering out of a right hand hairpin there is a severe vibration under power, which shudders through the car. I feel the vibration slightly on a straight line, but feel it even more so, as the weight is transferred to the left rear wheel under full 2nd gear acceleration... Any one got any ideas??
The car is running standard suspension so I’m not sure if its worn inner CV cups??
Driving the car normally, there is no vibration.

Second, I was getting a very bad crunch downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. towards the end of the day I just stayed in third.. I also noticed while in the paddock that if i clutched and selected first gear there was a slight shunt forward.. As if the clutch wasn’t fully in before selecting gear. I am thinking it the clutch slave cylinder.... I’m not sure, can anyone help?

Reason I’m thinking it’s the slave cylinder is that I have been trying to flush out the clutch fluid for some weeks now.. by sucking out the old fluid and replacing with new fluid. But after a few miles of driving the clutch fluid is black again. I must of used about a liter and a half on sucking out and replacing the clutch fluid, and it’s still not clear... so I’m thinking i have a burst seal .. Somewhere!

Today when i am driving the car i can select all gears without crunching... so fingers crossed it’s not an issue in the gear box!

I appreciate any help in these issues guys!!
Old 03-26-2012, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would change out the trans fluid, it should smooth out your shifting. I have a feeling the dirty clutch fluid is coming from the master cylinder, it's known to get dirty. Suck out all of the fluid from the reservoir, and really wipe it down with a paper towel. then try flushing the clutch again. If anything, a new master and slave cylinder is not very expensive.

Not sure about the vibration.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:02 PM

Are you bleeding your clutch or just changing out the fluid from up top? I am no expert but it sounds like you should bleed it, regrease shifter from up top, regrease and polish up slave cyl pushrod, and change MTF.

Vibrations idk about that really
Old 03-26-2012, 10:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vibrations are worn drivers side CV cup. Swap them it will fix it. (Swap drivers side with passenger side). I was experiencing the same thing. It would be magnified as the rear left wheel received more load in corners accelerating out of them. Check out the sticky post at the top of this forum.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:55 AM

Going by Billman's recommended clutch fluid change I was just sucking the fluid out, and topping up again. But i have done this at least 20 times. And the fluid still doesn’t stay clear. Maybe I should try bleeding the conventional way by having someone hold in the pedal while i crack open the bleed nipple?

I had the MTF and Diff oil changed about 1500 miles ago.

I was sitting in the driveway last night, with car in neutral, and if i stand on the clutch quick, and as soon as the pedal hits the floor I select 3rd real quick, and i hear a clunk from the transmission and rear diff and feel a slight bump forward, as if the pedal wasn’t fully in.. But without the car moving i can go up and down the gears slowly without feeling any notches or grinds.. i only feel it if i move fast.. I thought it was me, maybe selecting gear before the clutch hit the floor, but i made a point of making sure that the pedal slams to the floor before taking out of gear and going for the next one. It’s as if there is air in the clutch line and is causing the clutch cylinder to react slowly??

I also took away any slack on the clutch rod at the back of the clutch pedal.