S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

issue after clutch installation

Old 10-26-2010, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default issue after clutch installation

After installing the ACT clutch, I got in the car and tried to press the clutch in to start the car, but the clutch did not budge at all! So I bled the clutch system at the slave cylinder and now the clutch wont come back up unless I pull it by hand or top of my foot. Towards the end of the clutch pedal depression, I can feel some very slight resistance, but nothing feeling like the clutch has disenganged. I got underneath the car and looked at the release fork and it seems like the release fork is fully away from clutch (NOT the part where it meets the slave cylinder head). Did I possibly have the release fork in front of the throw out bearing? Is the release fork suppose to go within and not on top of the throw out bearing? If so, can I take the fork out without pulling the tranny out again? I tried pulling on the release fork but won't come out, is there a way of pulling it out?

Here are bunch of pictures of the release fork:

Old 10-26-2010, 03:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I just did this recently. Your fork is located on the wrong side of the release bearing. Did you slide the fork in before the transmission was snug against the block?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:09 PM

No I did not. Now is there any way to pull the fork out and put it in the right location without pulling the tranny?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:16 PM

I don't think so. You can't pull the fork out far enough that I'm aware to move the fork around the bearing.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:30 PM

So this exact thing happened to you? If so did anything get damaged?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:37 PM

Yes. I ended up pulling my tranny twice. It didn't damage anything. I could actually see the pressure marks when I pulled it. I hate to say it, but I'd just back the bolts off the tranny and pull the bearing out as soon as the pressure if relieved. It should only take a few turns. Also wait until the tranny is bolted completely up before reinstalling the fork.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:15 PM

It sucks that I may most likely have to pull the tranny but at least now I know exactly what the problem is. Thanks for all your help!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:27 PM

I'm sorry to tell you, but I did the exact same thing when I installed my ACT clutch. Let's just blame ACT

On a side note, seriously just back the tranny off the block but try not to pull it completely. I'm sure you can get the fork out without completely pulling it.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:39 PM

10-4. I will try that first.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. I did that doing my clutch, not ACT though..so lets just blame clutch mfgs. You can pull the shift fork out without removing the trans totally. You will have to loosen the bolts almost all the way though.

Quick Reply: issue after clutch installation