S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Invidia Test Pipe

Old 09-23-2006, 05:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Invidia Test Pipe

I installed a invidia test pipe today on my 2000 s, and all works well, except i get a very strong rattling noise coming from the exhaust. I DID NOT put a gasket between the test pipe and the the rest of the catback part of the exhaust. I wonder if this is why its rattling, my car didnt have a gasket on the stock exhaust, so i didnt put one on when i changed the pipes out. Could this be the problem of the rattling? Its only when i accel, or give it throttle, at idle it does not rattle. I have cel, and the car runs smooth, i just want to get rid of the annoying noise.

Old 09-23-2006, 05:50 PM

We put test pipes on my brothers G and they rattled also, he doesn't even drive the car now cause he hates the rattle

I dont know what could be rattling on your car ??

Hope you get your answer soon though !
Old 09-23-2006, 06:09 PM
Banned

Well when i get my invidia it wont matter i guess, ill be deaf and wont hear any rattling
Old 09-23-2006, 07:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My previous test pipe had a rattle, but it was because I had installed it too close to the body of the car and it was hitting the heat shield. I put in a new Invidia test pipe and was more carefull during the bolt tightening phase and it fit better. No rattle.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by davidvonyork,Sep 23 2006, 07:37 PM
my car didnt have a gasket on the stock exhaust, so i didnt put one on when i changed the pipes out. Could this be the problem of the rattling?
Your stock exhaust DID have a gasket, just a different kind. It was a metal ring that was pressed into the front of the exhaust pipe. It's still there but it doesn't act like a gasket for a test pipe, only for the cat. For a test pipe, you need that triangular "squishy" gasket that comes with a new test pipe.
However, I don't think this is why yours is rattling but you just never know.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:16 PM

when you eliminate the cat its gonna sound worse, and not nearly as pleasent, its gonna be more of a hollow sound.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:16 AM
Banned

Actually the sound of the car is alot nicer, it sounds like a g35, the only thing is i guess how the setup was of the bolts and what not. I will have to get under tehre and put on a triangle gasket, and then recheck how good of a install the hardware is, something is rattling
Old 09-24-2006, 06:20 AM

they sell those gaskets in a lot of places, you just gotta pick out the size....autozone even carries them.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:35 AM
Banned

well im gonna take my cat in and show them what size i need based off that, its the same as my test pipe, my problem is......what on earth could be causing so much rattle, and from what i hear, its common for test pipes to rattle? ahh well idk i hope the gasket will tone it down a bit, so its not so much metal on metal
Old 09-24-2006, 07:45 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

eith XV,as far as the gasket,you definitly need one.!
But a T.P.should not rattle,(It's only a piece of hollow pipe)unless it is touching something,or it is loose.

Quick Reply: Invidia Test Pipe