S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Invidia N1 Vs GReddy RS - AP1 S2000

Old 11-26-2017, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Q300 catback and I love it. I can see how it might be too loud, especially for a daily driver. But at 30 years old, and the S being my second car, I love the damn thing. I don't care if it doesn't do anything for performance, or if it's "loud and ricey" - bring it on.
The following users liked this post:
jram5k (12-15-2020)
Old 11-26-2017, 09:31 PM

Received 208 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLzach
I have the Q300 catback and I love it. I can see how it might be too loud, especially for a daily driver. But at 30 years old, and the S being my second car, I love the damn thing. I don't care if it doesn't do anything for performance, or if it's "loud and ricey" - bring it on.
thanks for the info. Its nice to hear someone loving their Q300
I'm just curious how loud is loud. No one I know has a Q300 but I know and gave heard someone's GReddy dual RS and that was loud, a nice loud with an awesome tone. Its down to HKS, Invidia or GReddy singles for me. Invidia is 70mm. The other two are both 75mm.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:41 PM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

You should go out to a local meet and see if anyone has an exhaust that you are interested in and ask them to take you for a ride so you can hear it for yourself.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
You should go out to a local meet and see if anyone has an exhaust that you are interested in and ask them to take you for a ride so you can hear it for yourself.
good idea. Been a while since I did that and designer top quality JDM brands are hard to come by here so the only one I experienced in car so far is the J's Racing 70RS. I do like it. But I don't like the downwards slanted tailpiece. I have heard GReddy dual on the outside and also like it. Really loud and deep. Probably can't experience it in car because its kind of hard to get hold of the owner.
been reading up on HKS Hi power and I think that's best to be honest. Similar price to the above options. Good deal on Real Street. I have to fork out shipping though from the USA to SA. If I install my Vortech then the HKS will be ready for it.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:49 AM

Received 1,230 Likes on 1,074 Posts

For reference my Tanabe Medalion dual exhaust is a nominal 60mm exhaust. The OEM header exit is 57mm. Lots of discussion regarding large diameter exhausts that will take hours to find and read. I'm convinced that a 70mm or 80mm exhaust offers no additional power and may decrease some due to slower exhaust gas flow. But even the real experts can't all agree. With this exhaust behind Berk high flow cat peak power on my car is 221bhp at the rear wheels on a conservative Mustang dyno. These dynos are reputed to read 10% lower than others but I make no claim to 243bhp at the rear wheels.

Unrelated to power I never liked the oval Accord/Civic exhaust tips on the later cars. The Tanabe is round double walled like the Q300.

-- Chuck
Old 11-28-2017, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
For reference my Tanabe Medalion dual exhaust is a nominal 60mm exhaust. The OEM header exit is 57mm. Lots of discussion regarding large diameter exhausts that will take hours to find and read. I'm convinced that a 70mm or 80mm exhaust offers no additional power and may decrease some due to slower exhaust gas flow. But even the real experts can't all agree. With this exhaust behind Berk high flow cat peak power on my car is 221bhp at the rear wheels on a conservative Mustang dyno. These dynos are reputed to read 10% lower than others but I make no claim to 243bhp at the rear wheels.

Unrelated to power I never liked the oval Accord/Civic exhaust tips on the later cars. The Tanabe is round double walled like the Q300.

-- Chuck
yeah Chuck there is a lot of debate about diameter and its effect on power. I have a 60mm TP. Should provide a little scavenging effect whilst I'm running NA. I do have a Vortech blower that I might slap on soon so I do not want any exhaust smaller than 70mm however if I get a second hand Mugen titanium from a friend I could make the exception or sell it on if and when I go boosted again.

and your HP is impressive! Are u living near the coast? I live at altitude which greatly affects power output but my girl is still damn strong
Old 11-28-2017, 04:46 AM

Received 1,230 Likes on 1,074 Posts

My 2006 car is Gernby FlashPro tuned. Power in the mid-range "under the curve" is significantly increased the main point of the tune. Dyno was about 925' ASL in NE Ohio when tested. Dyno was 90 minutes away so no "before" test, just "after," consequently I've no data just what the modified exhaust if responsible for. After my move from Ohio to Virginia I'm roughly 170' ASL. Up in the western part of Virginia the little mountains get over 4000 feet but the roads are so full of tight curves there's been no seat of the pants power impressions I could make -- just concentrating on keeping on the road and blocking the screams from the passenger seat.

(Altitudes approximate based on the county airports. Both areas are pretty flat.)

-- Chuck
Old 11-28-2017, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
My 2006 car is Gernby FlashPro tuned. Power in the mid-range "under the curve" is significantly increased the main point of the tune. Dyno was about 925' ASL in NE Ohio when tested. Dyno was 90 minutes away so no "before" test, just "after," consequently I've no data just what the modified exhaust if responsible for. After my move from Ohio to Virginia I'm roughly 170' ASL. Up in the western part of Virginia the little mountains get over 4000 feet but the roads are so full of tight curves there's been no seat of the pants power impressions I could make -- just concentrating on keeping on the road and blocking the screams from the passenger seat.

(Altitudes approximate based on the county airports. Both areas are pretty flat.)

-- Chuck
haha blocking the passenger screams. Exhaust surely had an effect on mid range torque and higher end HP? Then there's the significant weight savings over stock.