S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Intermittent Wiper Relay

Old 03-17-2024, 11:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to find and change AP1 Intermittent Wiper Relay

I have had a wiper issue for a while with intermittents stopping randomly through the stroke, and the wipers not returning to the correct position, but the low and high setting works fine. I found a few threads that pointed to it being the intermittent wiper relay which for 00 and 01 is behind/ under the dash. It is a PITA to get to. I took the guage cluster surround off to get at it. Remove the 3 screws from bottom column plastic then the 4 12mm on the bottom of the column to lower it. Then the two screws on the top of cluster, and pull. Disconnect the harness, and on the left you can see a black box behind where the starter was. Disconnect that box which is the keyless entry and lock box. By undoing a 10mm bolt on the driver side inner structure on the fender side. With that out of the way you can see a white plastic piece that holds the relay down pull up on the two lock tabs facing you. That should come away then I got a pick under the light Grey relay and pried it up. It is basically behind the starter button, but shoved way up and in there. The PN for the relay is:
39794-S10-003
looks like Honda used them on a bunch of cars. There is a little number under the 12v 1t I don't think it matters as long as it is the correct PN because online I couldn't find one to match 080 on mine. I have ordered relay and will update after install. In the second picture it lives behind the giant harness loom. The relay and holder are right behind that which makes it a Pita to get your hands back there. Hope this helps someone. Lmk if there are questions.

Edit:
Here are some more photos of where the relay is. I took the pictures from the dashboard where the starter is looking down. The piece I am holding is what they relay goes into and its bolted to the inner structure.

Last edited by Jack Mazza; 08-05-2024 at 04:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jack Mazza:
Chuck S (03-18-2024), KC2K (08-02-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 02:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've also got a wiper issue. On low the wiper will get stuck halfway and not return. But my medium/high work fine.

Did replacing your relay fix the issue?
Old 08-01-2024, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by 2JayCee
I've also got a wiper issue. On low the wiper will get stuck halfway and not return. But my medium/high work fine.

Did replacing your relay fix the issue?
It did not. The new relay did not fix the issue. I will be getting a new (used) wiper motor from my friend this weekend. I will install that, and let you know if that fixes it.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Mazza
It did not. The new relay did not fix the issue. I will be getting a new (used) wiper motor from my friend this weekend. I will install that, and let you know if that fixes it.
Just for clarification. Was the relay brand new? If used did you test it before hand?
Old 08-01-2024, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by 2JayCee
Just for clarification. Was the relay brand new? If used did you test it before hand?
It was brand new. I did test both in the socket and with a spare battery and they both appeared to work but did not chnage the behavior of the wipers.
Old 08-02-2024, 12:06 PM

Okay, yeah definitely post an update and see if it's just a bad wiper motor. Maybe it's corroded inside of the old one? Or just worn out.
Old 08-02-2024, 01:28 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 107 Likes on 67 Posts

Hey guys, I had the same exact problem, it's the wiper motor.. not the relay. Like all yours, it wouldn't return in the low mode. It's not the relays, I tried it and it didn't work (selling 39793-SE3-003 on marketplace now if anyone wants a new one).

Last month I purchased a low mileage wiper motor and linkage set, replaced it and problem solved. WAY easier then fiddling with those damned relays.

I would suggest just buying a low mileage motor and linkeage set together rather than removing the motor on an off the linkage (I had a local S2000 at the scrap yard with 7k miles) and just swapped out the entire linkeage set, cost less then $100.

Ebay has a few of them, purchased mine from AZ Cycle Parts.

I hope this helps save someone's sanity...and wish I did this sooner as it really is easy to swap out the full links.
The following users liked this post:
Jack Mazza (08-05-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 01:43 PM

To confirm, this entire thing is the linkage right?
Old 08-02-2024, 01:50 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 107 Likes on 67 Posts

That's it! it's so easy to swap this in and out.

One big tip, is the wiper arms when putting them back on and taking off, they must be in the upright position away from the windshield, line them up on the teeth, then click them back down and tighten. Manual also says before putting arms back on to turn the wiper on and off (to realign).
Old 08-02-2024, 02:19 PM

Thank you for sharing your experience/solution! I'll definitely be looking to pickup a whole linkage assembly and solve my wiper issue once and for all.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Wiper Relay