S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

intermittent (more then less though) Rough Tranny

Old 03-23-2009, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent (more then less though) Rough Tranny

I bought my car used with 4,500 miles on it. The story with all the fighting with Honda and what not is long so i ll leave that out. Ever since about 5,000 miles ive been taking my car in and outta Honda because the clutch was going from really really soft to stiff and the transmission is intermittetnly really rough. One time the clutch pedal fell to the floor and didnt come back up..since then ive bled the clutch 4 times and the clutch is now pretty stiff consistently...Nowwwwww the transmission is still intermittently rough to REALLY smooth...It also sometimes shuts me out of 1st and 3rd...Its popped outta 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear before..So recently Honda replaced the syncros in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th...But the tranny still feels the same..When i took the car back to Honda saying its still really rough when its rough they told me thats just how my car feels... They said "we replaced your syncros which basically makes it a new transmission and if it still feels the same way then thats just how your transmission is meant to feel". So the transmission is still really ROUGH (harsh shifting with occasional griding) to super super smooth like brand new car tranny.. Ive taken my car other places besides just Honda and opinions i got from other mechanics was that it could be that the pressure plate is messed up or defective causing the transmission to be rough when shifting. Im really sick of going back and forth with Honda and fighting them on it so im thinking of just changing the clutch out and see if that fixes it but i wanted some opinions first. Please help Thank you!

The other mechanics i went to feel like the clutch isnt engaging and disengaging properly causing it to shift rough

Also just to clear things that you might be thinking since alot of Honda dealers have questioned or accused me of: Im not trying to get a new tranny or clutch for no reason, Ive driven stick-shift since i was 16 and this is my 3rd stick car with no previous problems with transmissions, im really really easy on the car and never abuse it..

Car currently has 15,000 miles
clutch bleed: 4 times
transmission flush: 4 times
new: Master and Slave cylinder put in
new: syncros is gears 1st,2nd,3rd, and 4th

OEM fluids used.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know but it seems if your going to include the clutch and pressure plate, you must also include the flywheel as a possibility.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't change parts "just to see".

When you say it's rough, do you mean "cold start rough?"
Old 03-23-2009, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by JackS,Mar 23 2009, 09:58 AM
I don't know but it seems if your going to include the clutch and pressure plate, you must also include the flywheel as a possibility.
yea of course..its gonna be resurfaced when i put in the clutch if thats the route i decide to go
Old 03-23-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by The Gent,Mar 23 2009, 10:06 AM
I wouldn't change parts "just to see".

When you say it's rough, do you mean "cold start rough?"
yea of course i dont wanna throw parts at it either but at this point i dont know what else to do because i cant enjoy the car the way it is and im really sick of trying to get Honda to help me and American Honda hasnt been any better..

the car is rough wether running for hours at a time on a hot day or cold day..weather and temp hasnt really factored into the roughness..

i know trannys can be rough on cold starts but i always warm up my car to at least 3 bars before i drive anddddd its alot rougher then the ( cold start) rough feeling..

People have told me it cant be the transmission if its intermittent..because it goes from REALLY ROUGH to REALLY SMOOTH..

The other mechanics i went to feel like the clutch isnt engaging and disengaging properly causing it to shift rough
Old 03-23-2009, 11:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

That is one weird problem and I wish you the best of luck.

intermittent problems are the worst one to diagnose.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by The Gent,Mar 23 2009, 11:16 AM
That is one weird problem and I wish you the best of luck.

intermittent problems are the worst one to diagnose.
thanks i hope for the best to! lol
Old 03-24-2009, 07:28 AM

no ideas?
Old 03-25-2009, 09:15 AM

Old 03-25-2009, 09:50 AM

Have you had the Hydraulic system bled correctly 100% for sure? Maybe get a second set of hands on it to be positive?

If you have replaced all of that I'm at a complete loss.

Quick Reply: intermittent (more then less though) Rough Tranny