S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Intermittent misfire - help needed

Old 06-01-2004, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent misfire - help needed

Does anyone know what an 'off-amp' is?
An engineering buddy of mine mentioned that this may be the problem with my recurring misfire problem.

Since I've bought my S (MY 2002), I've had a problem with what had previously been thought to be the computer (ECU?). Since then, I've had 3 replacement computers installed, and four new injectors (all under warranty, thus far).

The recurring problem is hesitation while under acceleration and at idle. The problem had been coming back about 12 to 15k miles after replacing the computer. It started with a very slight misfire/ hesitation, and gets progressively worse over the next 10k miles or so, and eventually the check engine light would blink. This is the second part of the problem - even when idling hard enough to almost stall the vehicle (at or below 500 rpm[five hundred, not five thousand]), the computer would not register a misfire/ no CEL. The hesitation isn't a constant problem. Even when the misfire is at it's worse, it's still intermittent. Replacing the computer used to alleviate the problem for a little while, but last week, that was done for the third time, and the hesitation came back 500 miles later. Once again, the car came close to stalling, with no indication of the check engine light even blinking.

My engineering friend said that this could be related to an 'off-amp'. From what I gathered from our conversation, this is a little 'block' looking electrical part that receives and sends signals to the computer. It sounds like the culprit I'm looking for, but neither of us know enough about this particular car and it's electrical setup to know if this actually exists in the S2000 or not.

If anyone could help guide me in the right direction to try and diagnose the problem, it would be greatly appreciated. My feeling is that there is a problem, not with the computer, but with something that should be sending a signal to the computer.

I've contacted Honda customer service, and the only help they have provided is to keep a record of our conversations so far. The Honda dealer here, has provided some help, but neither of them, nor the other 2 other dealers I have been to have been able to figure out what the problem is.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you tried the MAP sensor whack?
Old 06-01-2004, 10:54 AM

Yes I have, but to no avail.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:01 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe it's time to try a different MAP sensor (borrow one from another car). If this resolves it, then you know you need to get a new one.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:45 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

I don't know what kind of engineer you friend is, But there is no "off-amp" like device in a S2000. The PCM determines misfires based on input from the crank position sensor. What ever your mystery hesistation hesitation is, It's deficult to difficult to diagnose online. I'm pretty sure it's not a PCM or injectors causing the problem. I'm not sure that the hesiation and the misfire are the same problem.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:17 AM

Slows2k,
Thanks for your input.
My friend helped design the fuel mapping system for the FSAE car when he was in Engineering school. He wasn't sure if that same design applied to my car or not, but was just trying to shoot ideas out there for a possible solution. I think he's trying to do some research to see if he might be able to make some recommendations.
Your response seems to be the best I've heard. Honda can't even tell me that much. I was passing through Alabama this weekend, I should have given you a shout.
Do you think the problem could be the MAP sensor as mentioned above?
Old 06-02-2004, 06:37 AM

Originally posted by PENROD
Do you think the problem could be the MAP sensor as mentioned above?
In addition what Slow might say, have a read of this:
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...6&highlight=map
Old 06-02-2004, 01:32 PM

Funny thing,
The dealer Service Manager said Hondas don't have 'MAP' sensors. He said those are used by GM, but not Honda.

Is this just a general term, or should I be worried?
Old 06-02-2004, 02:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PENROD
Funny thing,
The dealer Service Manager said Hondas don't have 'MAP' sensors.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be happy to bring the MAP sensor from my car to you on Sunday to try in your car for the day.

Quick Reply: Intermittent misfire - help needed