S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Intermittent clutch stickiness

Old 06-07-2020, 04:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Intermittent clutch stickiness

Hello, my 06 currently has 68k on the clock, bought at 53k. After the first clutch fluid change after the purchase I noticed the engagement point was high, all the way to the top(still has free play in the pedal). Bled a few more times using gravity method didn't change it.
Last year I removed the infamous CDV and the clutch engagement stayed the same as expected. A few month back I felt a bit of stickiness when driving into my garage for the last few feet in 1st gear and using only the clutch friction zone, especially when the pedal is down low near the floor.

Things I've done so far:
1) Bled again, no change
2) Sand down the little nib at the slave cylinder head and re-grease, didn't feel the stickiness right away, but eventually came back
3) Re-grease the ends of releasing fork that pushes the throw out bearing, again, felt better right away, but came back a few days later
4) Replace the master cylinder with a new OE part, no change

So far I can only feel it when I'm slowing releasing the clutch in 1st gear, normal driving feels fine, or I'm too insensitive to it.

I'm thinking about the possible causes:
1) Bad slave cylinder? (not very likely)
2) Clutch is worn? (no slippage so far, but the engagement is high)
3) Worn throw out bearing? (very likely, but the amount of labor to replace it is the same as replacing the clutch)

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 06-07-2020, 05:32 PM

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

My thought is that it could be a bad sleeve that the throwout bearing rides on. The sleeve when worn gives a sticky clutch- at least that has been my experience with other s2000's I've driven with the problem. I"m no mechanic so your mileage may vary.

darcy

The following 3 users liked this post by darcyw:
liybzd (06-08-2020), rpg51 (06-09-2020), Slowcrash_101 (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 02:08 AM

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

So after re-greasing the problem went away then came back later. What grease did you use?
Old 06-08-2020, 05:52 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

You almost for sure have an issue with the release bearing guide sleeve.

You can try to clean it and regrease with honda HT Urea grease via little grease brush.

Unfortunately, that rarely works. Most likely, the trans has to be dropped.

Once the trans is off, replace the sleeve with a new one...and use Honda HT Urea grease. Make sure the release bearing groove is packed with the stuff.

Don't use any other grease.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
You almost for sure have an issue with the release bearing guide sleeve.

You can try to clean it and regrease with honda HT Urea grease via little grease brush.

Unfortunately, that rarely works. Most likely, the trans has to be dropped.

Once the trans is off, replace the sleeve with a new one...and use Honda HT Urea grease. Make sure the release bearing groove is packed with the stuff.

Don't use any other grease.
Thanks, looks like I just replace the clutch as well. Didn't expect that to happen on a car less than 70k and never abused. But I guess it happens
Old 06-08-2020, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Scigheras
So after re-greasing the problem went away then came back later. What grease did you use?
Honda HT urea grease. Maybe my feeling was more psychological right after re-greasing.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by liybzd
Thanks, looks like I just replace the clutch as well. Didn't expect that to happen on a car less than 70k and never abused. But I guess it happens
Maybe the wrong grease was used when it was replaced? Or the sleeve was re-used?
Old 06-08-2020, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
Maybe the wrong grease was used when it was replaced? Or the sleeve was re-used?
I think the clutch is original, I meant even if only the throw out bearing is bad, I might just replace the whole clutch assembly
Old 06-08-2020, 08:06 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by liybzd
I think the clutch is original, I meant even if only the throw out bearing is bad, I might just replace the whole clutch assembly

Ok...yeah, I'm with u now. Just make sure you source the clutch parts from a Honda dealer.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:50 AM

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,085 Posts

FYI, if that pushrod on the clutch slave cylinder has been polished down too much or too many times, it is likely through the hardened layer and will begin to wear more rapidly, causing the catchyness of that part to return a lot more quickly.. When fixing mine I noticed it already appeared to be past that layer and the feeling from that has started returning in only about 6,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Intermittent clutch stickiness