S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Intermittent blue smoke + semi regular oil smell

Old 09-04-2009, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent blue smoke + semi regular oil smell

Heres all the info I have. Car: 2000 S2000. 74k mi on chassis, roughly 27k mi on engine. Mods: K&N FIPK, INVIDIA 70mm test pipe, greddy ti-c dual exhaust. Im getting a random puff of blue smoke out of my car. I know that this is oil burning so I have been watching my oil levels and I am not losing any abnormal amounts that aren't known with the ap1 engine. I'll have a random burning oil + lack of cat smell. Once in a while, either between shifts or otherwise, I'll get a little puff, but nothing constant or predictable. I just changed my oil to Mobil 1: 10w-30.

Is there anything I can check before grabbing my ankles for engine work?
Predictions on where I should start looking into this?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-04-2009, 05:44 PM

p.s. This was noticed since I put the test pipe + exhaust on... is this something that is semi-common with the ap1 and its tendency to consume oil and then not having any cats to scrub it?
Old 09-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

PCV? Catch Can?
Old 09-04-2009, 07:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you JUST installed the TP and Greddy, maybe it's the lube that usually accompanies such parts burning. Keep your fingers crossed and hope it goes away.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:21 PM

What can I look for on the pcv? Catch can would help? Is alot of the oil that burns contributed by blow by?

Greddy exhaust I bought 3 months used and the test pipe was new. I installed them about a month ago. I remember that burning smell, it's gone.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:16 PM

Just pulled the intake off the throttle body. inside the intake, it was bone dry. the back of the throttle body butterfly had considerable carbon buildup. inside the intake manifold, just past the throttle body, there was thick black oily buildup, im guessing this is blowby? i hoping for a cheap quick fix news here, but any input is greatly appreciated.

Phil
Old 09-05-2009, 09:06 PM

How confident are you on that '27K on engine' spec?

Sounds like rings to me. Drive it and enjoy. Let the people following you point at the blue smoke and make comments about pollution. I bet it still goes for a long time.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running a testpipe also spits out smoke intermittently. I have been running a test pipe for almost 2 years now and every once in a while coming to a stop or at idle I'll get some oil burning through the exhaust.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:07 PM

I am fairly confident on that 27k number. The engine that is in the car now was pulled out of a salvaged car at 17,xxx and put into this one at around 64,5xx I now have 74,xxx and thats where I get that 27k number from. After talking to people, realizing that I am not needing to add any additional oil then what other AP1 owners report, and since it's intermittent, Im not going to worry about it anymore. Until I am adding oil on a regular basis, like you said, I'm just going to enjoy owning this car.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by GreatJob!
I am fairly confident on that 27k number. The engine that is in the car now was pulled out of a salvaged car at 17,xxx and put into this one at around 64,5xx I now have 74,xxx and thats where I get that 27k number from. After talking to people, realizing that I am not needing to add any additional oil then what other AP1 owners report, and since it's intermittent, Im not going to worry about it anymore. Until I am adding oil on a regular basis, like you said, I'm just going to enjoy owning this car.

Quick Reply: Intermittent blue smoke + semi regular oil smell