S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Intermittent acceleration

Old 09-21-2014, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent acceleration

I've had my S for almost 3 months now and I'm getting really sick of the intermittent performance. It's not like it feels slightly slower sometimes, it's like someone flipped a switch and the car just seems to run like crap even when I floor it.

When it runs fine, I can floor it and feel my body suck back into my seat. Other times, it just slowly climbs speed even at 5k+ RPM in 2nd gear and the VTEC transition is harder to feel.

Weather doesn't seem to be an issue because it has ran great in the hot weather and bad in cold weather.

Checked the MAP and didn't see anything wrong and used a zip-tie which did nothing.

Cleaned the IACV which didn't make a difference.

I almost want to just sell this one and buy another one. :c
Old 09-21-2014, 01:46 PM

spark plugs? compression test? bad gas?
Old 09-21-2014, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by superstuddc27
spark plugs? compression test? bad gas?
Haven't checked the spark plugs yet but I don't get why bad plugs would make the performance intermittent.

Haven't gotten a compression test yet.

Finally, I've been using gas from multiple gas stations for the past 3 months and it occurs no matter which one I go to.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:44 PM

I don't know if this is the same problem but if I hold the RPM at 2k and keep my foot steady, the RPM drops until it bogs down and wants to die. If I hold it at 3k, it sounds like the RPM "breathes" slightly up and down consistently.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:50 PM

Bad spark plugs can cause performance issues. So can a bad coil pack. Something clearly isn't right, it shouldn't bog and fluctuate like that. Maybe the TB needs cleaning but that wouldn't affect acceleration so much unless it was defective.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year is your S?
Old 09-22-2014, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Reckon
What year is your S?

Only lowered and engine dampener installed.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaney
I don't know if this is the same problem but if I hold the RPM at 2k and keep my foot steady, the RPM drops until it bogs down and wants to die. If I hold it at 3k, it sounds like the RPM "breathes" slightly up and down consistently.
Get it to a honda tester and check the engine parameters. Had this problems for the last 2 years, so far I think it's either an electric problem, or the ecu. Either way, post if you find anything. In my case, the sparkplug advance is off. I can drive it hard and medium no problem, it just doesn't like going slow.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/909...m/page__st__25

Right now I bought a beater car for the winter, and I'll replace the wiring and/or ecu till spring.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by crisskro
Originally Posted by Shaney' timestamp='1411343065' post='23339537
Get it to a honda tester and check the engine parameters. Had this problems for the last 2 years, so far I think it's either an electric problem, or the ecu. Either way, post if you find anything. In my case, the sparkplug advance is off. I can drive it hard and medium no problem, it just doesn't like going slow.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/909...m/page__st__25

Right now I bought a beater car for the winter, and I'll replace the wiring and/or ecu till spring.
Did you ever replace the MAP sensor with new updated one with the zip-tie from Honda?
Old 10-01-2014, 02:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tested with two different MAP sensors from two friends, same thing. The o-ring is in very good condition as well.

And yes, my sensor was zip-tied. However, the zip-tie thing was for intermittent acceleration under heavy load (and that's just fine), it's the partial throttle that's giving me trouble.

Quick Reply: Intermittent acceleration