S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Intermediate Shifting Issues with 2nd & 3rd

Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fernando.
Normal operation, don't worry about it.

I would just change the oil with OEM Honda fluid since you're basically at the 50k mark.

See my thread on the GMSMFT. My AP1 trans shifts like a knife through warm butter. Im amazed it feels like new..
Old 04-23-2013, 06:43 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by myjdmproject
just to give an update, I changed the tranny and diff fluids about 2 weeks ago.

it bothers me though that when the diff fluid was changed it was black and had metal in the fluid and a small chunk of metal came out. looks like previous owner beat on it a lil. the piece looked like a part of a gear, it was tiny though, not to over-exaggerate, about half size of pinky finger nail.... the tranny had fresh fluid when i drained it, replaced both with honda fluids from the dealership... and changed oil to 10w30 synthetic.

so tranny is still notchy and hasnt changed at all, i'm learning to drive it like that but am still not comfortable with it. I have a backup tranny incase and am thinking about building it up then swapping it out. I wanted to get into autocross/road events where i can really learn the full potential of my car

also i'm noticing that if I leave the light normally then hit gas, car seems to like rev rev, nothing (like a dead spot, not slipping but car seems to stop and think for a second), rev, rev, rev.... but if i leave light and keep foot down its fine, seems only when i increase throttle rapidly in a low rpm, first gear only... any thoughts, I'm thinking the car sat for a while and maybe i could check/clean sensors???
slipping clutch?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think its a combination of heatsoak when you are at a light and your 2006 drive by wire in relation to shifting being not smooth.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:32 PM

slipping clutch?
I don't think so, i thought so at first but more like a hesitation then slipping. I ran a supercharged prelude today on my way to work, left light at idle, didnt dump clutch then hit it up to 8k 1st-3rd.. f*ckin beautiful, didnt slip, caught each gear beautifully and left the prelude behind me. :-)

But when im driving it normal and hit gas to lets say so around someone at a low rpm (1K-3k, any gear), there is definitely a dead spot for a split second. spoke to my mechanic and he thinks maybe the tps needs to b cleaned/replaced. it only bothers me incase I have to get out of the way of a stupid drive and can't...

I've spoken to a few s2k people at atco honda day, and they all seem to have the same issue.. the car drives ehh normally but when u get on her she acts perfectly fine and begs for more...
Old 04-26-2013, 06:07 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

slipping clutch?
I don't think so, i thought so at first but more like a hesitation then slipping. I ran a supercharged prelude today on my way to work, left light at idle, didnt dump clutch then hit it up to 8k 1st-3rd.. f*ckin beautiful, didnt slip, caught each gear beautifully and left the prelude behind me. :-)

But when im driving it normal and hit gas to lets say so around someone at a low rpm (1K-3k, any gear), there is definitely a dead spot for a split second. spoke to my mechanic and he thinks maybe the tps needs to b cleaned/replaced. it only bothers me incase I have to get out of the way of a stupid drive and can't...

I've spoken to a few s2k people at atco honda day, and they all seem to have the same issue.. the car drives ehh normally but when u get on her she acts perfectly fine and begs for more...
The car isn't alive below 4k and yes there are a few less progressive spots in the power band. I wouldn't stress over it.

Your diff however is probably going to need replacing down the road.

Hondata the car and it should feel better mid range!! Best 700 bucks you can spend on the car.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:05 PM

Hondata the car and it should feel better mid range!! Best 700 bucks you can spend on the car.
I agree, saving up my pennies for the hondata, I've already decided thats the first upgrade the cars going to receive
Old 04-26-2013, 11:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

it bothers me though that when the diff fluid was changed it was black and had metal in the fluid and a small chunk of metal came out. looks like previous owner beat on it a lil. the piece looked like a part of a gear, it was tiny though, not to over-exaggerate, about half size of pinky finger nail.... the tranny had fresh fluid when i drained it, replaced both with honda fluids from the dealership... and changed oil to 10w30 synthetic.
Surprised no one called this out already...what fluid did you get from the dealership for the differential? Honda does not make a fluid to put in the differential of these cars, and if you used what they put in Pilots/CRVs etc then you need to replace it immediately. Hopefully they gave you proper (non-Honda brand) fluid though.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by climhazzard
Originally Posted by myjdmproject' timestamp='1366768558' post='22494664

Surprised no one called this out already...what fluid did you get from the dealership for the differential? Honda does not make a fluid to put in the differential of these cars, and if you used what they put in Pilots/CRVs etc then you need to replace it immediately. Hopefully they gave you proper (non-Honda brand) fluid though.
The fluid they gave me was a honda performance gear oil. when I spoke to one guy he told me that I had to go to a parts store to get it, another guy overheard us and said that this dealership just started carrying a new performance gear oil for diffs a few weeks prior and they only had 1 case of it. Let me see if I can dig up the empty container.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Gotcha - maybe they bought the 80w-90 gear oil Honda makes for "Marine" applications (maybe motorcycles also?). If so I don't know much about it but if it meets GL5 specs you should be ok, although I'd do some additional research to be safe. Either way it's best to check, there have been numerous reports of dealers putting in VTM-4 which is made for Pilots and CRVs, but will destroy a S2000 differential.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:43 AM

The shifting issue seems to be different for everyone...I think based on how closely these gears were designed, everyone has some different issues that cause the same problem.

1. Could be your clutch fluid was never flushed properly. This would cause some leaking in the hydraulics and making the clutch not release cleanly and causing the "catching" feel. Clean the master cylinder area with a qtip of any oils and flush out the clutch reservoir a few times.

2. Grease the shift knob - sometimes it runs dry down there and may cause some shifts to feel stickier.

3. Change MTF fluid - try the new honda formula, GM syncromesh, amsoli, or combination of redline fluids. Seems like every car likes one over the other - no consistent answer here.

4. Adjust the rod on the pedal so there's barely any play left from engaging the master cylinder.

Quick Reply: Intermediate Shifting Issues with 2nd & 3rd