S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Interior Swap

Old 04-03-2001, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,
I have the silver with red interior s2kissy and... ehhhhh.... I'm thinking I like black interior better.

My first question is how much of a project do you guys think it would be to swap out the red carpet with the black carpet, the red side panels with black ones, and then the seats ( those wont be too difficult)

My second question, is there anybody who feels the opposite, but had to get the black interior because red is easier to find... and would like to swap... perhaps..if at all possible..

Lemme know?

j.
Old 04-03-2001, 08:03 PM

ChitownS2K, I've got silver/black and I'd be happy to trade black for red. Let me know.
Old 04-03-2001, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ChitownS2K, I know this is off topic but tell us about your engine's death !

Morbid Barry happy with all black interior, further blackened by Muz and Rick and Reedz.
Old 04-03-2001, 10:20 PM

Uuuuuggggghhhhh..... such a painful story... that whole time it made me sick to my stomach...

OK so circa 4000 miles, I'm takin the car for a spin becuase its like the first somewhat warm day without any snow on the ground here in chicago...

driving along and I get off the express way ramp, at the same time my cd stops playing... cuz.... its over... but either way....

i hear my engine, it sounds like im riding a bicycle and ive got a card in the spokes.... ugh... i check the oil... its fine...

I take it to the honda dealer and schaumburg honda is tryin to tell me i ran it with no oil so i yank it outta there and take it to elgin mcgrath honda where my pops works, and they looked at it there...

it didnt run low on oil.... but the 4th cylinder appeard to be scuffed.... they were investigating for abuse and for like a week and a half i was sick to my stomach cuz, can you imagine the cost of that repair?

they ended up swapping the engine out at no cost... they couldnt determine the problem exactly... however a possible candidate would be the oil pickup , and the oil not getting to the pickup when I would rail the thing around corners...

any of you AutoX guys know anything about that?

I dunno.. thank god shes back in good health
Old 04-04-2001, 05:10 AM

Join the #4 Cylinder crowd, chitowns2ki.

You probably want to read Jason Saini's thread with photos about his #4 cylinder problem. It shows the disassembled engine.

http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...p?threadid=2673

My #4 cylinder looked exactly like Jason's. My car had only 650 miles, never raced, and never low on oil. Honda has made a habit of blaming the owners (not in my case) but has replaced the engine for everyone so far except cde. His might be different too because he had a defective oil filter that might have contributed to the problem.

Do you know your manufacture date (on the sticker inside the driver's door sill) and VIN#? There seems to be a cluster of these in cars made from May, 2000 through December, 2000; but that might be an artifact of our low numbers.

So far, including yours, we have ten S2000s that started with a tap tap tap sound and ended up with a short block replacement. Yours is now one of the ten. Many are #4 cylinder. Some are undiagnosed. This thread has a summary of the information.

http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...p?threadid=8051
Old 04-04-2001, 05:38 AM

uugggghhhh.......

manufactured 8'00

vin number is jhmap1149t009084

#4 cylinder, diagnosis is the oil pickup...

uuuggggggghhhh
Old 04-04-2001, 06:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by ChitownS2k
#4 cylinder, diagnosis is the oil pickup...
I know that is what they are saying but I have seen no trend with the #4 failures that would indicate a pickup problem (most were full of oil and had not yet seen high gee forces). There is no apparent change in the oil pickup and it would be unusual that low oil pressure would always cause the same failure. I'm still betting there is a manufacturing / tooling issue that causes #4 to be out of spec in some engines.
Old 04-08-2001, 06:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I was on a japanese site last night (not my normal one) with an alta vista translator. Therw was one link that as near as I could tell was talking about the #4 cylinder and the "oil jet"????
Old 04-08-2001, 07:26 AM

That is very interesting, Utah_S2K.

To date, the ten (including cde's) that I know about are all U.S.A. cars. I thought that was a bit strange.

Barry
Old 04-08-2001, 12:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Utah S2K
I was on a japanese site last night (not my normal one) with an alta vista translator. Therw was one link that as near as I could tell was talking about the #4 cylinder and the "oil jet"????
I surmised some time ago that low oil pressure may affect #4 because it is the furthest from the pump and that insufficient spray from the #4 jet would certainly cause heat build-up that might result in these symptoms.

Our engine has sprays that cool the underside of the pistons as is often done in pure racing engines.

We still have to question why that would happen since many of these failures were in engines that were full of oil and not subjected to high gees.. there was never any reason they should experience low oil pressure.

This is all supposition until we get inside information on the cause.