S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Interesting intake idea

Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

I think this first was done back in 2000, but its still an interesting idea. I don't know how worthwhile it is given the fact that transient air seems to pick up most of the heat on the intake pipe behind the filter vs in the air box from what I've seen, but for $20, why not I guess. XViper did temp tests back in the day and if I remember correctly, the biggest change in temp when running the car down the road takes place between the airbox and intake, so some cooling contraption there would be a good idea too.

Also, I can't see any of your pics.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah the issue at the end of the day isn't as much about radiant heat as it is transient heat from the under hood temperatures themselves, not one specific heat source. In that case, no amount of reflective type radiant heat shielding will help. If anything it would insulate the piping making the heat even more contained which is why I didn't wrap the piping.

I did this specifically because the header gives off direct radiant heat on the box which also causes the foam filter oil to become more viscous and run off the filter which pisses me off so I tried to ensure the box would stay a bit cooler with the hopes of also getting a cooler airflow.

***FYI about the pictures, idk why the thumb nails are huge but if you click them and just hold ctrl and minus you can zoom out a bit to see the pics. My bad.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That tape sure looks bad ass, and I'd do it just for the bling factor. As far as managing intake air temps though, IMO the value is limited. Given the high CFM flow at even moderate speeds, it's more important to manage where the air is pulled from. Between the air filter and the throttle body there isn't much time for the air to really heat up. Your comment about insulation retaining conducted heat is spot on.