S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

an intake and vented hood, will this hurt?

Old 07-22-2005, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default an intake and vented hood, will this hurt?

Hey fellas, im getting a K&N FIPK air intake and the Seibon JS-style carbon fiber hood( which has 2 vents close to the front of the hood) for the S, will the hood effect my air intake to where it sucks in water? I live in St.Louis, the weather here is very random, it may rain while im driving.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If there is a vent directly over the filter, you should block that vent. I have a modified filter for my supercharger and with my T.S. vented hood, there is one vent over the filter. I've had to design a cover for the filter to prevent water from dripping onto it.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:08 PM

i always wondered about those vented hoods.. not even considering the air filter, wouldn't it make your engine and bay open to rain (obvious) and a lot more dust.. all which can't be good.. or does the engine getting wet not harm????
Also if you have a CAI intake that will move the filter out of the engine bay, shouldn't that help eliminate any water intake through the filter...
Old 07-22-2005, 01:19 PM

People been known to wash their engines with soap and water. At least I do with Windex or "Gunk" engine cleaner if needed and then hose it down with hot water. It's not like it's gonna shrink if it gets wet. You just have to be careful you don't hit any wiring connections (which are usually water resistant anyway) with a sharp, hard water stream. You can then either blow it off with compress air to dry it or just leave it to dry on its own. Windex helps to prevent water spotting.
Harm from water and dust? I don't think so. I've had a vented hood for quite some time now. I've driven in HEAVY rain and parked in heavy rain with no ill effects. Of course, I don't get too bothered by a dirty looking engine bay.
Water dripping onto an air filter is pretty much your only concern. As for moving the filter out of the engine bay, the most common place is just behind the right fake airduct, as with AEM and Injen. Don't tell me you don't know anything about the hydrolocking situation with those?
Old 07-22-2005, 11:20 PM

Just wondering, don't the T.S hood come with them rain guard? I'm thinking about picking up a Mastergrade T.S style hood and was wondering about water or rain flowing in and causing somewhat of a problem, I'm more relax now that Xviper said that he has the T.S hood for awhile and nothing has happened.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:21 PM

Just wondering, don't the T.S hood come with them rain guard? I'm thinking about picking up a Mastergrade T.S style hood and was wondering about water or rain flowing in and causing somewhat of a problem, I'm more relax now that Xviper said that he has the T.S hood for awhile and nothing has happened.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:24 AM

Is the intake similar to the INJEN or AEM intakes? If so, make an umbrella to cover the top of the filter. I made one out of a gallon jug a few days ago, and am going to make a more sturdy version out of PVC today sometime. I will post exactly how to do it out of PVC as soon as I get around to it. The PVC solution could also be painted and actually look good.

John
Old 07-23-2005, 07:58 AM

i know about hydrolocking, but just saying that with the air filter in that position you wouldn't have to worry about rain coming in throuhg the vented hood.. Once I do get my CAI i will be adding a bypass valve (i have heard it restricts the air flow some, but the safety of not hydrolocking is worth it to me ).
Old 07-23-2005, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Reds2kracer,Jul 23 2005, 12:21 AM
Just wondering, don't the T.S hood come with them rain guard?
Yes, it does. I took mine off. I wanted the full effect of getting the heat out of the engine bay.
Had I left them on, I wouldn't have had to make a shield for my filter.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Jul 23 2005, 08:25 AM
Yes, it does. I took mine off. I wanted the full effect of getting the heat out of the engine bay.
Do you know if the T.S rain guard fit on the MG hood? If so, are you willing to give it up for a certain price ?

Quick Reply: an intake and vented hood, will this hurt?