S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

INTAKE TEMP!?!?

Old 05-26-2008, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoTorkS2k,May 26 2008, 11:24 AM
How do I monitor intake temps on an Apexi Neo? I've never seen an option for intake temp monitoring?
Neither have I. I looked through the manual recently with no luck either. Hopefully the thread starter or someone else will chime in.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im running a scangauge2 odb port scanner. It tells me what sensors the ECU sees including the IAT.

With the box unmodded, the temps were usually 20-30*+ what my dash temp was reporting (I have an MY07)

After getting an AEM CAI, The temps went up even higher! ***Problem is I got the V1 AEM CAI which you need to drill a hole for the IAT for newer cars. I just plugged mine into the existing hole (?air pump?). By doing that, it has too much metal where I'm sure the IAT was not able to "see" the actual air temp but instead was being heated up by the intake metal itself!
***FIX*** I cut off the existing air pump bung so that the IAT sensor would be deeper into the intake pipe. Conclusion: Currently my IAT now shows only 5*+ what my dash outside temp sensor is reporting.

So yeah, I'm sure that the AEM CAI does help out by keeping the IAT sensor happy as well as the motor with cold fresh air.

On the stock air box maybe the sensor itself gets heatsoaked? BTW, I've compared the S2000 readings with other cars (Honda Fit w/stock box vs. Injen CAI + 97 Camry Stock box vs. CAI) And they all have the same results. Less heatsoak or possible the CAI just places the IAT sensor in a better location.

To verify that its just not the case of MY07 cars, I can transfer the scangauge2 scan tool into an AP1 and we can compare readings doing top of air box on/off as well as an AEM CAI (a local member has one on his AP1) Then after all the data has been gathered, we can compare.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CASTRO,May 27 2008, 08:03 AM
im running a scangauge2 odb port scanner. It tells me what sensors the ECU sees including the IAT.

With the box unmodded, the temps were usually 20-30*+ what my dash temp was reporting (I have an MY07)

After getting an AEM CAI, The temps went up even higher! ***Problem is I got the V1 AEM CAI which you need to drill a hole for the IAT for newer cars. I just plugged mine into the existing hole (?air pump?). By doing that, it has too much metal where I'm sure the IAT was not able to "see" the actual air temp but instead was being heated up by the intake metal itself!
***FIX*** I cut off the existing air pump bung so that the IAT sensor would be deeper into the intake pipe. Conclusion: Currently my IAT now shows only 5*+ what my dash outside temp sensor is reporting.

So yeah, I'm sure that the AEM CAI does help out by keeping the IAT sensor happy as well as the motor with cold fresh air.

On the stock air box maybe the sensor itself gets heatsoaked? BTW, I've compared the S2000 readings with other cars (Honda Fit w/stock box vs. Injen CAI + 97 Camry Stock box vs. CAI) And they all have the same results. Less heatsoak or possible the CAI just places the IAT sensor in a better location.

To verify that its just not the case of MY07 cars, I can transfer the scangauge2 scan tool into an AP1 and we can compare readings doing top of air box on/off as well as an AEM CAI (a local member has one on his AP1) Then after all the data has been gathered, we can compare.
wow. u got +5 F vs the outside temps? thats nice and cool air. if i look at the data for the guy doing the test for the snorkel, he's got like + 30F or something. Guess the fujita/aem/injen style at least gets the cool air in proven.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fooling the sensor should give you more ignition then
Old 05-27-2008, 05:51 PM

Excuse my dumb question but I've been told that the IAT sensor is on the intake manifold. I see people are talking about putting it somewhere else, where exactly is the sensor located?
Old 05-27-2008, 06:07 PM

on MY07 its where the air pump would have been. MY07's with DBW dont have air pumps anymore.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by qbmurderer13,May 27 2008, 08:51 PM
Excuse my dumb question but I've been told that the IAT sensor is on the intake manifold. I see people are talking about putting it somewhere else, where exactly is the sensor located?
2000-2005 iat is in intake manifold. 2006+ its in the intake pipe.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by c32b,May 27 2008, 05:45 PM
wow. u got +5 F vs the outside temps? thats nice and cool air. if i look at the data for the guy doing the test for the snorkel, he's got like + 30F or something. Guess the fujita/aem/injen style at least gets the cool air in proven.
Yeah its usually +5-10* higher than outside temps but dont think that it stays that way. In stop and go driving, it does rise up like crazy but vs. the airbox, cools down way faster.

On the stock airbox, its normal for me to see 20* or more than what is shown on the cars "outside temp" reading.

Yeah I know the outside temp sensor probably isnt the most accurate compared to the news etc, but it at least gives a second reading to compare the intake temps to.

*note that on my AEM, Im using a diff filter than it came with. I'm using a K&N filter where the top is also made of the same filter material instead of the stock where it can only suck from the sides. I mention this as on my bumper, I cut out the fake scoops to get cooler air to the filter. I believe nichigo on the forums did the same with his CAI setup and AP2 bumper
Old 05-28-2008, 09:47 AM

Ok so it makes a bit more sese that the sensor placement is messing with my intake temps. This was my initial thought because it just isnt possible to pull colder air form outside the car and the intake temps be the same as before.

BTW......you guys should save up $150.00 and buy a ScangaugeII to monitor this data. it's cheap and works great. I have mine mounted with the Modifry mount so it looks nice and clean.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:31 AM

So which mod would be more beneficial? Bypassing the coolant to the throttle body with some fittings & hoses or buying and installing the Hondata IMG? I know whiich would be easier for sure.

Quick Reply: INTAKE TEMP!?!?