S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

INTAKE TEMP!?!?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default INTAKE TEMP!?!?

well well i want to see if any of you guys know what your intake temp is??

i have the apex-i neo and it reads the temp its average is like 120 or so sometimes during city driving it can get to like 130-150, and about like 80-90 on cold nights..

i am running stock ait box gutted with k&n drop in with spoon snorkal, you can see the temp drop pretty nice when your on the freeway from the snorkal..

but my question is i didnt think my car ran that hot till today i hooked it up to my friends 03 350z and he has a crappy short ram with a metal heat shield and i was joking with him saying that he intake must heat soak bad cuz it felt like it did so we did a experiment and i hooked up my neo to his car it was reading high 70's and mine today was like high one thirty's..note today was like bout 80 out here

soooo wtf does are cars run alot hotter than other cars or is mine running hot, what are the temps of you guys running cold air intake or other set ups???????
Old 03-28-2008, 09:50 PM

bump
Old 05-23-2008, 05:48 AM

I also am running a scoop/snorkel with a radiator bracket as well. My intake temps are constantly around 116-120. Pretty high considering its SUPPOSED to be pulling cool air. The only conclusion i can come to is the temp sensor is constantly in hot air regardless of the intake.

I really would like for anyone running a CAI to chime in with their intake temps.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these are average numbers from what i've seen. i was getting the same numbers with a stock intake box. comptech supercharged i was seeing 120-150 degrees while normal city driivng. after installing a front mount intercooler temps dropped to around 90-110 degrees.

i am now greddy turbo'd and temps are even lower - 80-100s depending on how long i'm cruising for.

CAI/SRI numbers would be nice to see!
Old 05-23-2008, 06:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get the hondata img. the temp sensor is in the intake mani, and tha mani gets heat soaked from the head and coolant running through it. i am in south florida and see 130 typically and 160 at a stop light

i have the hondata img sitting in the garage, will put on and see how much difference there is.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:46 AM

If there is one thing the neo is good for, its showing you good data I would love to see differences with DIY heat shields/wrap/insulation.

Great topic
Old 05-23-2008, 08:56 AM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

i re-routed the coolant line that goes to the TB, and disconnected the end line that goes to heat the IACV valve and put those two together. Before doing this, with a cold air intake from the turbo into the fender (which lowered IAT's 10-30 degrees) i was getting 110-160 in stop and go traffic! Now, they are a good 30 degrees colder! Stop and go traffic, its around 90-110 depending on how long i just idle. As soon as i open it up, the temps drop to about 5-20 degrees above ambient, depending on what boost level i'm running (high boost, my intercooler is running out of efficiency)
Old 05-23-2008, 09:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a Mugen intake and have logged temps finding as expected it is all about conditions of speed and ambient temp.

It is interesting to look at temps during laps at the track (one with a long straight separated from a couple of miles of turns) where the relationship is obvious...

On the long straight where speeds start at 70 and raise to 130 the heavy load raises coolant temps but the speed drops the intake temp. On the back course with all the turns the coolant temp drops with reduced engine load but the intake temp goes up with slower speeds.

Temps on the street generally stay pretty warm with low speeds but will be relatively cool with the speed and low loads of highway driving.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:54 AM

excellent post......this just gave me a weekend project to explore ...... What part of the intake have you guys been mounting the temperature sensors/senders?

OK I just figured it out.......but I think I want to just install a separate temp gauge instead of spending money on a full Apexi Neo type unit......so i'll tinker around and see what results i get this weekend.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:08 AM

I also have the NEO, along with the Hondata IMG and AEM V2. Anyways, how do I get my NEO to output the temp? Thanks!

Quick Reply: INTAKE TEMP!?!?