S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Intake Retainers Replaced

Old 02-22-2008, 07:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Intake Retainers Replaced

I recently returned from 32 months in the Middle East and finally pulled my car from deep storage.

I pulled the cams while it was in storage, which had the added benefit of providing a full view of the retainers -- which I have hawked for the last 15,000 miles due to a pretty bad mechanical over-rev (~10,200-10,300 range).

When I was putting the whole thing back together I gave the retainers a thorough inspection. I never saw the classic signs of cracked retainers, but was certain it was only a matter of time before I would start seeing the results of my lack of driving precision... and a couple of them just didn't look quite right (the keepers seemed to not be sitting evenly on a few of the retainers - just ever so slightly) - no slippage, but possibly the first signs of bad things to come.
Anyway - I decided to just have the retainers replaced with '04 retainers - if for nothing else than for peace of mind.
I contacted Billman on the afternoon of Friday the 8th of February, and he was able to pencil me in for Sunday the 10th (due to special circumstances). I set out from Pensacola that night. 17+ hours later, I was driving in New York traffic!

I showed up to Billman's place late morning on Sunday (due to a failed wake-up call at my hotel...), where he was patiently waiting. He knocked it all out in a little over 2.75 hours - to include a valve adjustment, clutch adjustment, oil + filter change and a cabin filter change.
Let me just say this - I've worked on cars since I was around 15 (although I could never make money at it because I'm so slow at it) and been in military aviation for around 20 years, and I've seen my share of mechanics - good and bad. Billman is by far the best mechanic I've seen to date - hands down.
He's fast, more importantly extremely meticulous, highly skilled, and follows a well laid out set of processes.
The service and peace of mind was well worth the nearly 40 hours of driving. There was another much more pressing reason for my road trip up the East coast - but based on what I now know, I will make the trip again to have Billman work on my car.

I hate to kiss ass on the site - but Billman is really that good with the S2000.

As for the original retainers: they didn't have the classic radial cracks that a number of AP1s have suffered. However, every intake retainer had unusual circular hairline fractures on their undersides - showing evidence of my over-rev (some worse than others).
Once again - thanks Billman!
Old 02-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Bill is an Awesome tech
Old 02-23-2008, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slipstream444,Feb 22 2008, 11:13 PM
I recently returned from 32 months in the Middle East and finally pulled my car from deep storage.
Welcome back, thanks for your service. I'm glad you got that car out of storage too.

Just out of curiosity, what oil did you fill it back up with? You're an Amsoil user right? Will you get the previous fill UOA'd?
Old 02-23-2008, 09:57 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

people from near and far traveling to see billman, im glad you had a good experience. Billman FTMFW
Old 02-25-2008, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by 90crvtec,Feb 23 2008, 12:06 PM
Welcome back, thanks for your service. I'm glad you got that car out of storage too.

Just out of curiosity, what oil did you fill it back up with? You're an Amsoil user right? Will you get the previous fill UOA'd?
Thanks - much appreciated my friend.

The car fired up instantaneously - as if it was pissed it had sat for 3 years!
I took a day to put her all back together.
As for the oil - I filled it right back up with a fresh Amsoil 5W30 change (my winter fill).
My car seems to be using just a little more than it did before - but then again, I think Amsoil may have slightly "cheapened" their 5W30 formula a little because the NOACK numbers are not as good as they used to be. The consumption was up to a little under 0.25 qt at 2500 miles. I'd use half that in 5000 miles before. The 10W30 still has the good NOACK numbers so I'll probably just move to that for more of the year. Amsoil's new 0W30 has unimpressive NOACK numbers as well. I'm considering moving to Redline - we'll see in about 10,000 miles or so.

I didn't bother to UA the previous (storage) oil. I changed the oil and filter when I stored it - and added an extra 2 quarts for the storage. I thought about it, but figured a UA wouldn't have told me much - except that I had 3 year old oil sampled!

2poor2mod - you're right, people do travel near and far for Billman's work (although I think I broke the previous record for travel).
He is a brilliant and skilled Mechanic -
Slows2k I'm a little old school and feel the term "Mechanic" goes beyond what a Tech describes. I think he's a Top Shelf Tech - and a true Mechanic.
On top of that... he really knows how to drive the S2000! The post work demo drive was also worth the drive!
Hats off to him!
Old 02-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

I agree there is a difference between technician and mechanic. I've been brainwashed by AHM to call them all techs. I don't even bother to keep up with Bill on a drive. We have traded some shop talk and techniques though

Slipstream, check out the NOLA and AL forums for some guys in your area that have become more active.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Feb 25 2008, 09:57 PM
I agree there is a difference between technician and mechanic. I've been brainwashed by AHM to call them all techs. I don't even bother to keep up with Bill on a drive. We have traded some shop talk and techniques though

Slipstream, check out the NOLA and AL forums for some guys in your area that have become more active.
Rog - many thanks.