S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Intake Question..

Old 12-13-2006, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything that helps air into the airbox is a good thing, however like most mods for the F20 the intake is one of many that combned will add to the overall gains that can be made.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone had any experience with This type of J's intake. It should be the same thing as the orignal one just that its fiberglass. Would I need to do anything to the hood for correct fitment..
Old 12-13-2006, 07:38 AM

It will probably work pretty well, my biggest concern with Ebay parts would be fitment.

The snorkel will net more gaines than the Rad plate though because it directs air without allowing the air to change directions.

With the short ram I have. I am planning on running a hose from the front of the car to the bottom of the intake to get colder air to it, I am also running an ARC rad plate to help direct air to the general area where the filter is located. When its done it may not look as pretty as the J's or Mugen, but it should be very functional
Old 12-13-2006, 07:41 AM

The only thing about the snorkel that I dont really like is that it has that it gets much smaller when it goes down the radiator. Could this restrict airflow...?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:00 AM

Ya I alway's thought about that too, but all the members on the board that I have talked to with them, really like them and while driving they seem to be getting plenty of air. I also thought they would bog of the line, but I did not notice any of that either.

The reason I did not go that route is because I did not want to cut my hood, and the snorkels that dont require cutting the hood are even smaller where they come over the radiator.

for me personally a Short ram intake is just fine. Comptech and K&N both make them and they have been building and designing racing intakes for a long time. Could they be better, sure probably, but they seem to get the job done.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:21 AM

I know the any aluminum pipe must net some gains. So by reading all the post, what do you guys think of this setup...

stock airbox gutted.

short ram intake aluminum pipe insulated with k&n filter inside..(cut pipe to fit inside stock airbox)

j"s cooling radiator plate...(dont want snorkel..dont like idea of cutting hood and small opening.)

My question then would be is the opening of the stock airbox sufficient compared to having a short ram intake exposed but with a circular piece around it so that it doesn't get all the heat of the engine. Also what about the l plastic device inside the intake box. Since the divider was removed, I should remove that aswell correct...? And with J's colling plate, does it connect or almost connect to the stock opening. Does it like overlap the stock airbox opening..?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:37 AM

The J's and Backyard special (similiar design does connect to the stock air box) I dont know about the ebay version though. You can do it that way if you want, but I would do one or the other as far as the intake is concerned.

Either run stock air box with stock piping (cutting it up will mean you will need to find another when selling the car or going back to stock set up) and a drop in filter with the ebay cooling plate.

Or run the short ram intake (thermo wrapped) with the exposed filter/ heat sheild and the cooling plate. (this is what I would run if I were you)
Old 12-13-2006, 08:48 AM

I wouldnt have to cut the stock piping.. it would be the aluminum piping that I would need to cut since its to long to fit in the airbox.

So it would be better to have it exposed to be able to get 360degree air volume instead of the air box hole. To take advantage of j"s cooling plate with the aluminum pipe. I would need to cut it a bit so that the filter is directly infront of j's opening.. That should't be a problem. Im just confused if its just eaiser to cut the pipe so that it would fit into the stock air box since the design is much better enclosed but the filter isn't directly at the opening.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:02 AM

Ya it think it would work fine, the only time you would experience any type of bog would be after stopping for an extended period of time and the air in the engine bay heats up, while driving the under hood temps are not that bad because you have air coming in there constantly.

Good luck!
Old 12-14-2006, 07:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Basically it sounds like you would be running the same things as the stock box with the lid off. This has been proven LOSE hp. And the temp under the hood is horrible, search the forum as someone did a write-up on intake temps with the box lid on and off which should give you an idea why you only want to pull air from specific sources (from front over radiator or from the passenger wheel well). Also do a search for "rad-mat" and for modifying the stock intake box further. With very little cost you can modify the stock box to be more insulated and to have a ram-air affect that will give you improvement then any of the cheaper basic mods (read not the $1000 j's intake or such).