S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Intake Question..

Old 12-13-2006, 04:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Intake Question..

Hey,, just need your advise on what would possible be a better setup. Ive ran both setup's but cant tell much of the difference. I guess to answer this question for sure I might need to take the car to get a dyno, but unitl then what do you guys think is a better setup.

Short ram air intake(ebay intake) with k&n filter and with a circular cover around it. This I found to try to solve the heat soak issue which occurs with any short ram intake. This cover leaves an opening right around the passanger headlight so hopefully some cold air gets in there.

Advantages in my opinion..

More air flow due to having no baffles like stock pipe.
Possible colder air.
More air volume since its not in a box
Louder sound

Disadvantages..
Pipe gets hotter since its aluminum.
Possible heatsoak

Regarding the stock airbox, I cut the middle divider and taped up the resonaltor. I took off the l shape device in the stock box but after reading some post, I belive I might put this back. I thought it was just to provide air through over the middle divider but it does route air directly to your intake.

Advantages..

Intake should get less heatsoak(expect for radiator heat)
Pipe has larger opening then aluminum intake.

Disadvantages.
Baffles in pipe..
Eventhough inclosed in a box, its closer to the engine which lets out much of the heat.
Enclosed in plastic box which might restrict total air flow

Does this sound right. I cant really tell using my butt dyno if one is better than the other. I know the sound is much louder with the ebay intake. Any recommendations. If I were to just keep the gutted box, should I put in the l shape device to route air.

Thanks for any help
Old 12-13-2006, 06:05 AM

The other option I thought of now was to cut the aluminum intake pipe I have now and make it fit with the stock air box. So basically, it would help the air flow compared to the stock intake since it has the baffles. My consern about this is that the stock box has only one outlet to get air from. Arent intakes which are exposed completely have more airflow potential compared to stock air box setup..
Old 12-13-2006, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you follow Spoons way of gutting and reducing the airbox & repalce the filter. It does help with better airflow and heatsoak.

Spoon themsleves have played with snorkels and rad shileds to get over the Rads heat effect. There is much you can do and it all does work , you need to keep the airflow route into the airbox open.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're not really going to notice a difference or gain any power with either setup, and the short ram one is risky in that you will probably hurt performance.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:59 AM

In the picture, what is that piece which is covering the radiator. How much does it cost. Also where can I find info on how spoon worked on the stock airbox.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2006, 07:00 AM

You're not really going to notice a difference or gain any power with either setup
Not going to start a debate on this as its been done to death, but that
Old 12-13-2006, 07:05 AM

If you contact Spoon they will be happy to provide you with the info , or Spoon USA. The Rad plate is from TN2p a bunch of inthusiasts from Japan, its not expensive and solves the issue of the rad heat injestion. Ive heat barrier backed mine for extra cool running. Works a treat. Email Toshi he can help you the pate is like $40 !!

http://tn2p.cside8.com/

Email: s2000@toshi.cside.ne.jp or tn2p@cside8.com

See here for Spoons own Rad guide , not somthing they sell

Old 12-13-2006, 07:11 AM

Here is some better shots of the plate

Old 12-13-2006, 07:25 AM

I would probably use the short ram intake. I went with the K&N FIPK kit because the piping is plastic and does not heat soak at all. Being that your piping is alum, you might want to consider thermo wrapping the arm, that should reduce the heat soak.

If you decide to go back to the stock box, I would recommend some type of snorkel either Spoon or J's and then a K&N/HKS/GReady drop in filter. You can get the Spoon filter if you want, but IMHO its a waste of money.

Either way your gains will be within 1/3 HP of eachother on a dyno, but with the snorkel you will have better gains while driving. The snorkel doesn't dyno well because its hard to simulate air traveling through the snorkal at 50+ MPH so the dyno gives a incorrect gain for those products.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:28 AM

I saw on ebay a fiberglass replica of J's cooling plate. It looks like it would connect straight into the stock airbox.. Is this correct. Here is the link for the time. Since its fiberglass, is their anything I need to worry about. I know it coudl break easier. Is it worth the money..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-00-06...sspagenameZWDVW

Quick Reply: Intake Question..