S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Intake Idea

Old 03-15-2007, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by milkbubble' date='Mar 15 2007, 08:01 AM
Hey that sounds like a good deal. the best prices i found are from Ebay and Crutchfeild. Can you PM me who you got it from?
Honestly i dont remember. i think i just googled "s2000 FIPK" and checked out prices from each dealer i found until i found a price i was willing to pay. i found it for $240 at several sites. im pretty sure you can get it on ebay for that price too. if i can find my invoice i will let you know.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stlvtec' date='Mar 15 2007, 09:43 AM
So I have been toying around with this idea and would like to get your opinions.

I had a 2002 S2000 and installed a comptech CAI on it. I loved the sound of it, but let's face it with CAI all you are "really" getting is sound and not the HP gains they claim. I would rather not fork another $300 plus for the sound. FYI..The comptech CAI was a plastic box with a carbon fiber lid.

I believe that Honda designed the S2000 air box to cut down on the acoustics. I am sure several of you have at least heard what the car sounds like with out the air box lid on. It has the CAI sound to it.

My idea - I still have the my air box from the 2002. I am thinking of cutting the top portion of the lid out and replacing it with a sheet of 0.015" carbon fiber. I am hoping that the carbon fiber will allow more groan from the intake.

I am hoping that this will give me the sound I am looking for, with a "cool" look, less heat soak, and at a reasonable price!

Do you think it will work, or am i missing somthing? Is there another material besides carbon fiber that would work better?
To answer your actual question:

First, yes, the airbox on the S2000 was designed to cut down the acoustic signature. I forget the patent number, but the patent is accessible through www.uspto.gov, and IMHO it is a real work of engineering excellence.

HOWEVER, as you want it to be noisier (so do I), I don't think replacing part of the lid with a thin sheet of carbon is really going to do it. Here's why: the system works as a set of tuned resonators (look up "Helmholtz"). There are three distinct volumes; the one the filter sits in, the one connected behind the filter by a short channel, and the closed volume separated by a membrane (through which the duct passes). It is the harmonic interaction between these three volumes that result in the quietness of the intake. Removing the lid entirely negates the effectiveness of the design, as the filter chamber volume is now infinity, and the closed chamber is now doing nothing at all. So, replacing the lid, even with a thinner material, isn't going to do the trick.

I've had a little luck getting it slightly louder than stock by removing the membrane between the two volumes, and using a chunk of the plastic (and some epoxy) to seal of the back chamber. But it's nowhere near as loud as just taking the cover off.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Destro' date='Mar 15 2007, 07:56 PM
To answer your actual question:

First, yes, the airbox on the S2000 was designed to cut down the acoustic signature. I forget the patent number, but the patent is accessible through www.uspto.gov, and IMHO it is a real work of engineering excellence.

HOWEVER, as you want it to be noisier (so do I), I don't think replacing part of the lid with a thin sheet of carbon is really going to do it. Here's why: the system works as a set of tuned resonators (look up "Helmholtz"). There are three distinct volumes; the one the filter sits in, the one connected behind the filter by a short channel, and the closed volume separated by a membrane (through which the duct passes). It is the harmonic interaction between these three volumes that result in the quietness of the intake. Removing the lid entirely negates the effectiveness of the design, as the filter chamber volume is now infinity, and the closed chamber is now doing nothing at all. So, replacing the lid, even with a thinner material, isn't going to do the trick.

I've had a little luck getting it slightly louder than stock by removing the membrane between the two volumes, and using a chunk of the plastic (and some epoxy) to seal of the back chamber. But it's nowhere near as loud as just taking the cover off.
Thanks for the reply. I read up on some other posts and will remove the membrane and plug the resonator too.

I am going to cut the top and replace with carbon fiber. I think this will help amplify the sound. If not it will still look better than a stock air box. If I can figure out how to do it I will post pictures and let you know the outcome.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sell it to me and put the money towards a real intake
Old 03-15-2007, 06:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?...air+AND+intake)

Is this the patent your talking about... didn't read the whole thing (too tired)

give it a minute to load
Old 03-16-2007, 06:54 AM

how about an new lid with more openings (holes) on the top?
Old 03-16-2007, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by M-Type' date='Mar 16 2007, 08:54 AM
how about an new lid with more openings (holes) on the top?
You'll be drawing in air from the engine bay.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:46 AM

haha i mean with more opening towards the front
Old 03-20-2007, 04:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote name='killyougood' date='Mar 15 2007, 02:26 PM'] 1+ For the K&N FIPK.