S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Intake/Exhaust mods and AFR

Old 11-30-2010, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes there is intake and exhaust overlap. Our engine is cammed out. Your ECU will automatically add more fuel when the MAP sensor detects more air from an intake. However, the Hondata FlashPro is definitely a good upgrade for the price, regarless of whether you have bolt ons.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:29 AM

This is an interesting read, would like to know the most efficient way to tune for the S2000 with only boltons. Would a VAFC be sufficient or would larger injectors be needed? What other tuning systems are available for something like this? I would eventually be supercharging and would update the tuning software once that is happening but I intend to have I/H/E before that and would be willing to tune for those mods.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by blacknboostn,Nov 30 2010, 09:29 AM
This is an interesting read, would like to know the most efficient way to tune for the S2000 with only boltons. Would a VAFC be sufficient or would larger injectors be needed? What other tuning systems are available for something like this? I would eventually be supercharging and would update the tuning software once that is happening but I intend to have I/H/E before that and would be willing to tune for those mods.
What year is yours?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:40 AM

I don't have one yet I have a Dodge Neon SRT4. Looking to upgrade in the handling department haha. I'm just here to learn. I'm a Honda guy at heart. I should be getting an 08 CR when the time comes though.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:26 AM

I've no idea of the science of it all, but my 00 went from tunable afrs with i/h/hfc/60mm cat back to lean with i/h/70mm header back exhaust.

No need for a VAFC if you run i/h/70mm tp and cat back as you'll need to find a way to add fuel.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:42 AM

I would assume that under that circumstance the way to add fuel would be to get larger injectors and then use a VAFC to pull fuel until the AFR is in an acceptable range.

That being said, are the stock injectors pretty much maxed out on the S2000? I've never used a VAFC so I don't know if there is a way to add fuel instead of just pull it back but I thought there was.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by blacknboostn,Nov 30 2010, 11:42 AM
I would assume that under that circumstance the way to add fuel would be to get larger injectors and then use a VAFC to pull fuel until the AFR is in an acceptable range.

That being said, are the stock injectors pretty much maxed out on the S2000? I've never used a VAFC so I don't know if there is a way to add fuel instead of just pull it back but I thought there was.
The stock injectors are stout as long as they are clean. I think we don't have fuel filters. 06+ models have a programmable ECU and the Hondata FlashPro piggyback is only $700, so it is a must have if you are willing to spend the money on IHE. Also look up the DesignCraft iVTEC conversion if you are considering power mods. IVTEC and supercharger kits require either an ECU reflash or FlashPro anyway.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:44 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike21,Nov 30 2010, 06:46 PM
Aftermarket intakes & exhausts(usually) produce more power by increasing velocity of flow and by increasing the amount of air that flows into(and out of) the combustion chamber, altering your air/fuel ratio.
so gas/air flow velocty may increase.
how this increase amount of air that eventually fills into the cylinder?

cylinder volume still the same.
nothing forces more air inside.

looks to me this can only happen in a case when with stock intake/exhaust the cylinder is not filled fully with the air.
only possible reason - stock intake/filter are so restrictive that sufficient volume of air doesn't manage to get sucked in

looking at the intake it looks like valve opening is more restrictive than stock intake tube/filter.

so this is still not good enough explanation....
Old 11-30-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Croc,Nov 30 2010, 12:44 PM
so gas/air flow velocty may increase.
how this increase amount of air that eventually fills into the cylinder?

cylinder volume still the same.
nothing forces more air inside.

looks to me this can only happen in a case when with stock intake/exhaust the cylinder is not filled fully with the air.
only possible reason - stock intake/filter are so restrictive that sufficient volume of air doesn't manage to get sucked in

looking at the intake it looks like valve opening is more restrictive than stock intake tube/filter.

so this is still not good enough explanation....
The stock intake is a nice fat tube with a bigh high flow filter. These aspects are not improved upon. All the top aftermarket intakes make power by lowering the intake air temperature.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

intake air tem decreases - this is absolutely true.
my Scangauge shows 15-20 degr Celcius less!!!

so how this affects AFR?
cooler air = denser air = more O2 molecules per given volume

is this how it works?

Quick Reply: Intake/Exhaust mods and AFR