S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Intake Camshaft

Old 12-19-2007, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^I agree, a simple oil change, whatever the weight and grade did not cause that problem.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:29 AM

I would have another tech take a look at your problem it sounds like the valves may have been too tight this could cause high cam wear. Have you ever over reved the engine?
Old 12-19-2007, 06:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post pics of the worn camshaft. Then:
Originally Posted by s2000Junky
The more realistic would seem to be the timing chain tentioner failure.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky,Dec 18 2007, 03:11 PM
You know what makes more sense to me after reading the OP discription. Having some experience with the timing chain tentioner starting to fail. Its true that you may indeed be showing signs of cam ware, but this doesn't happen over night, its a prolonged progressive situation. What your describing is not and I can't think of any reason why changing your oil would cause this unless you forgot to put the oil in and started it up for a few seconds. I don't trust every mechanics abilty to reason and think about the problem like myself. You were there and know what happened. Does this make sense to you?

The more realistic would seem to be the timing chain tentioner failure. This is also hydraulically tentioned by engine oil and are know for premature failure on the F20's not sure about F22's. I am on my second one and it is starting to make that lose valve tick sound again. After a wile it will bocome a rattle, which is the chain.

Have you ever noticed a strange rattling sound when you first start the car up after it sits overnight, like in the morning to go to work? Maybe you did and didn't pay much attetion to it at the time, or maybe not, but i'll make you aware of it now just incase, so listen for it. This happens because the tentioner has lost its oil prime so it loses its seat against the chain and rattles for a second at start up, depending on how bad of shape its in before it builds pressure again will deturmine the magnitude of the rattle, it may just be starting like mine so it sounds like a loose valve ticking. It will vary the sound by the degree of the failure. Its worth bringing up to the mechanic. Otherwise if it is just some ware on the intake cam lobes you got nothing to worry about, as long as its not your cam bearings. Just re ajust the intake side valves and your good to go.
why would the timing chain tensioner cause a spun "cam"???? it doesnt not produce OP itself but is tensioned by OP.

why would this cause premature engine wear? or are you suggesting that ebcause he has a loose Timing chain issue that it points to low OP and thus the cam wear?
Old 12-19-2007, 07:18 AM

^ If I'm not mistaken, I think he is disregarding the "cam wear" issue and simply diagnosing the original noise. If he's like me, he's probably skeptical that any such cam wear has occurred until we see pics of the damage. I think the mechanic was probably grasping for straws when he came up with the "cam wear" diagnosis. I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm curious what kind of oil was in the car before the change. It seems that Mobil 1 is a common denominator between many TCT "failures". If he had dino oil (or some other type of oil) in the car before the change, then that might explain why the issue just started occurring after the oil change.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

[QUOTE=mxt_77,Dec 19 2007, 08:18 AM] ^ If I'm not mistaken, I think he is disregarding the "cam wear" issue and simply diagnosing the original noise.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Is the noise coming from the top of the valve cover or is it coming from the front of the engine where the timing cover is? Can you distinguish this sound? Do you have a listening tool such as those doctor heart listening devices you can purchase through an automitive store for just this reason? You could do it the old fation way with a long peice of wood, like a 2x2. Try and isolate where the noise is comming from
Old 12-19-2007, 11:32 AM

^ Automotive stethoscope.

You can also use a really long screwdriver. Put the tip on the back of the TCT and put the handle up to your ear. If you hear a noticeable "tick tick tick", then that's the tensioner arm bouncing off the tensioner piston which means your TCT has "failed" to maintain tension.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Dec 19 2007, 12:32 PM
^ Automotive stethoscope.

You can also use a really long screwdriver. Put the tip on the back of the TCT and put the handle up to your ear. If you hear a noticeable "tick tick tick", then that's the tensioner arm bouncing off the tensioner piston which means your TCT has "failed" to maintain tension.
Stethiscope...yes thats the word I was looking for, thanks mxt 77. This would be good to deturmine at this point if possible.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:58 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky,Dec 19 2007, 12:05 AM
Guys, He has a F20, It takes 5.2 quarts to fill to the top of the dipstick, this is with the standard oil change with removing the filter. 5 quarts gets you to two X's bellow the top of the dipstick full line, which is just over 3/4 of the dipstick gage. This didn't cause the problem, I assure you.
i DISAGREE. a lot.

Quick Reply: Intake Camshaft