S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Intake Camshaft

Old 12-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Camshaft

So I changed the oil and put in new set of spark plugs.
Drained oil, put in 5 qts of Mobil 1 syn.
Let car idle for 5 minutes.
Took car out for a spin, everything was fine for about 5 minutes.
Put car in V-TEC from 1st to 4th gear.
After that, there is a loud "ticking noise" from the engine.
Surely enough, car is making very loud "ticking noise" at idle and when stepping on gas after changing gear.
Mechanic took valve cover apart and found:
Intake camshaft has wearing sign,
Exhaust camshaft is perfect.
He said something about there are 4 spots on Intake camshaft that has sign of wear which is not spinning properly. Therefore, causing the loud "ticking" noise.
So I've always changed my oil and it was always fine.
Question is: Did I kicked engine in VTEC too soon after oil change and cause the damage?
And what camshafts do i replace if i only wants replacement camshaft and not looking to do any other mods?
Any advice, comment would be much apreciated. I don't know much and only have my mechanic word to go by.

*Update*
The mechanic did open the valve cover and show me the worn part. i did not know what it was but he pointed out 4 spot (1 in each cylinder) on the camshaft that has worn (like 2 part sliding with each other and causes worn mark). Here's a sample pic of where i remember it was, i only point to 1 of 4.
(PIC borrowed from another post)
This same mechanic did adjust my valve about 2000 miles ago. So i just wanted to make sure if he didn't do it properly or if i had mess something up. Since that valve adjustment, i maybe put it in VTEC very short for no more than 3 times not including this last one after oil change.
Ialready told the mechanic to put the cover back and get back with him about the replacement part later. So it's driving around with loud idle noise.
More about the noise: loud idle. loud "tick tick tick" when appllying gas.
And he also replaced the solenoid. He said it was bad too with the intake camshaft. Which cost $150 part. Sorry for not mentioning earlier.
I would post the actual pic of the cam wear, but i don't know how to take off the cover. So no actual pic for now until i find that out.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:34 AM

I have read in this forum that Mobil 1 will make the valves noisy compared to other oils. You should check the adjustment of your valves anyway to make sure they aren't too loose. I haven't read anything about camshaft wear. Oil will pump the second you start your engine. V-tec won't engage if your engine is cold. What weight oil did you use?

Old 12-18-2007, 04:19 AM
Spammer

Used Mobil 1 10W30. And the valve is not loose since mechanic said he already checked it.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:27 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

maybe you didn't put in enough oil...

sounds like your mechanic is being honest...and he is a mechanic.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:16 PM

yeah the f22 takes more than 5qts. isnt it like nearly 6 in the pan?
Old 12-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

You know what makes more sense to me after reading the OP discription. Having some experience with the timing chain tentioner starting to fail. Its true that you may indeed be showing signs of cam ware, but this doesn't happen over night, its a prolonged progressive situation. What your describing is not and I can't think of any reason why changing your oil would cause this unless you forgot to put the oil in and started it up for a few seconds. I don't trust every mechanics abilty to reason and think about the problem like myself. You were there and know what happened. Does this make sense to you?

The more realistic would seem to be the timing chain tentioner failure. This is also hydraulically tentioned by engine oil and are know for premature failure on the F20's not sure about F22's. I am on my second one and it is starting to make that lose valve tick sound again. After a wile it will bocome a rattle, which is the chain.

Have you ever noticed a strange rattling sound when you first start the car up after it sits overnight, like in the morning to go to work? Maybe you did and didn't pay much attetion to it at the time, or maybe not, but i'll make you aware of it now just incase, so listen for it. This happens because the tentioner has lost its oil prime so it loses its seat against the chain and rattles for a second at start up, depending on how bad of shape its in before it builds pressure again will deturmine the magnitude of the rattle, it may just be starting like mine so it sounds like a loose valve ticking. It will vary the sound by the degree of the failure. Its worth bringing up to the mechanic. Otherwise if it is just some ware on the intake cam lobes you got nothing to worry about, as long as its not your cam bearings. Just re ajust the intake side valves and your good to go.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:14 PM

i still think 5 quarts of oil will put will at LOW oil, especially after an oil drain.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:14 PM

and new oil filter...and then vtec-ing the shet out of it.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:34 PM

2.2 Liter engines take more oil than that if you change the filter...
Old 12-18-2007, 11:05 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Guys, He has a F20, It takes 5.2 quarts to fill to the top of the dipstick, this is with the standard oil change with removing the filter. 5 quarts gets you to two X's bellow the top of the dipstick full line, which is just over 3/4 of the dipstick gage. This didn't cause the problem, I assure you.

Quick Reply: Intake Camshaft